I use linux mint 18.1 installed Oracle VM VirtualBox windows 7 on it (got a USB problem)

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
sammy147

I use linux mint 18.1 installed Oracle VM VirtualBox windows 7 on it (got a USB problem)

Post by sammy147 »

Hello,

First of all, let me say hello to all of you. My name is Werner and I'm a newbie on linux mint 18.1

I installed the latest Oracle VM VirtualBox ( virtualbox-5.1_5.1.22-115126-Ubuntu-xenial_i386 ) and uses Windows 7 ultimate 32bit on it. The virtualbox works nice but the only problem I have is the USB port don't work. If I use my usb stick on my linux mint 18.1 then it works perfect but when I want to use it in my virtualbox, the virtualbox dont see my usb stick. I have installed the Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-5.1.22-115126, to be able to use my usb stick in my virtualbox. But it does not work ????

the reason why I use windows on my virtualbox is because I have a Garmin GPS and the programs from this gps only works in windows. So if I can use the usb in my virtualbox(windows7) then I can use all the programs for my Garmin gps.

Please, Can I ask you kindly to help me please? If you got any questions, I'll answer them as quick as possible. please keep in mind that I'm a newbie and keep the help simple please. I thank you very kindly in advance for all your good help and your time.

Friendly greetings,
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: I use linux mint 18.1 installed Oracle VM VirtualBox windows 7 on it (got a USB problem)

Post by scottgus1 »

USB is a finicky beast when trying to get a device into the guest. You have to follow the instructions in USB Basics and Troubleshooting exactly, then you should be able to use normal devices in your guest.

Once you get the USB drive in your guest you will have the skills to get the Garmin into your guest. As to whether the Garmin will cooperate, that will be seen in time.