What games are supported?

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
AlexanderSh88

What games are supported?

Post by AlexanderSh88 »

What games can I install and play in a virtual machine? I remember long time ago I tried to install the game Age of myphology, but it did not start game, I do not remember why .. there was a problem in the video card. In real Windows the game works fine.
I wanted to install lef4dead2, but I doubt that it will work in a virtual machine. Can you make a video card in a virtual machine as powerful as in real Windows (on a real computer)?
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Re: What games are supported?

Post by BillG »

Most games run pretty poorly in vms, and it is the video that kills them. The vm uses its own emulated video which is usually much slower than a hardware card with a GPU.
Bill
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

There is an old thread dealing with that subject, Working games under VirtualBox (Linux host - Windows guest), but don't get your hopes too high for all the reasons that BillG mentioned.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

The quick answer to your question is "none". In fact no activity inside a VM is "supported" (not unless you're a business user with a support contract). For us mere mortals - you try it, and if it works then great! - let us know.