FATAL ERROR.

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
sbur45

FATAL ERROR.

Post by sbur45 »

Help! That's exactly what I need right noiw with trying to get VirtualBox 5.1.22 to work for me. Every single time I try to start a newly crea ted VM [with an old Windows OS version on it] I always get the error msg. saying "FATAL : No bootable medium found! System halted." Just what am I doing wrong in trying to get a VM going normally/successfully anyway?
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: FATAL ERROR.

Post by Perryg »

No bootable medium found, means that your install media is either corrupt or is not bootable. VirtualBox does not come with the guest OS and you need to provide it.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

You sound like a fairly new user to VirtualBox. I would suggest to start by reading three small chapters from the User Manual:
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Re: FATAL : NO BOOTABLE MEDIUM.

Post by BillG »

There are two possibilities. Either you have not set it up correctly, or the ISO in not bootable. Since the assignment step is pretty straight-forward, I suspect it is the ISO. Either it is corrupt, or it is not a bootable image. What OS are you trying to install? Where did the ISO come from?
Last edited by mpack on 6. Jun 2017, 09:29, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Post moved from cross post topic created by OP.
Bill
sbur45

Post by sbur45 »

I am now trying to inst all Win Longhorn Biuild 3683 and I REPEATEDLY get this blue screen error message saying " A problem has nbeen detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer", etc., etc. I installed DOS and set the correct BIOS date but still get this terrible problem. Can anyone please help me with this?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

sbur45 wrote:I am now trying to inst all Win Longhorn Biuild 3683
From the Beta Archive Wiki:
Beta Archive Wiki wrote:Windows "Longhorn" 3683 (with a build tag of 3683.Lab06 N.020923-1821) is a leaked build of the Microsoft Windows "Longhorn" operating system. Compiled on September 23, 2002, build 3683 is one of the first builds leaked to the public.
Are you asking for help with a leaked copy of a beta operating system? My answer is 1) it's not supported because it's beta, and 2) I don't want to know how you got a hold of this, but "legally" is not part of the sentence that you would use to describe how you got a hold of that build. I smell a lock at a minimum if this conversation continues...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.