Using Windows 7's shadow copy on virtualbox

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
Mallocin

Using Windows 7's shadow copy on virtualbox

Post by Mallocin »

Windows 10 doesn't offer sufficient backup features. I'm thinking about using a virtual Windows 7 machine as file backup. Is this a good idea?
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Re: Using Windows 7's shadow copy on virtualbox

Post by BillG »

I can't imagine how that would work. If you think that you can simply move the OS from a virtual machine to a physical one, or vice versa, then you are mistaken.

A virtual machine is an emulation of a physical machine, but it does not emulate the physical machine you are using. It has its own motherboard, video card, network card etc. Its installed OS is quite different from the one on the host.

I would look at one of the free image backup programs like Acronis or Macrium.
Bill
Mallocin

Post by Mallocin »

Do you know of any other software that has something similar to the shadow copy feature? The shadow copies my OS creates are all corrupted for some reason.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

If "shadow copy" refers to the ability to back up your PC live without having to shut it off and boot to a different environment, then many modern backup softwares can do it. Bill recommended a couple. The one I like to use is Macrium Reflect (free for personal use).
BillG
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

I use Macrium Reflect too. Works very nicely.
Bill
ams_tschoening

Post by ams_tschoening »

Mallocin wrote:Windows 10 doesn't offer sufficient backup features. I'm thinking about using a virtual Windows 7 machine as file backup. Is this a good idea?
No, that doesn't make any sense, simply because Windows 10 contains all backup features of Windows 7, as well as those of Windows 8. Additionally, the Windows 10 features are more current and wbadmin e.g. supports 4k native drives, which it doesn't with Windows 7. So simply don't waste your time with nonsense. If you have problems with Windows 10 backup, ask more specific questions on that topic, using Windows 7 instead is a waste of time.