One Adapter For Network and Internet Access

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
Faruk.C

One Adapter For Network and Internet Access

Post by Faruk.C »

I want to test ARP Poising on virtual lab. I have 2 machines: Attacker and Victim. Victim and Attacker must be same network and access to the internet with just one adapter.

I tried NAT Netwok and Host-Only Network but there isn't internet access.

Example with IP Adresses:
Attacker: 192.168.56.104
Victim: 192.168.56.107

Attacker and Victim can acces internet. Make them(networking and internet access) with a single adapter.

My Host PC is Debian 8 Jessie. How can I do this?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: One Adapter For Network and Internet Access

Post by scottgus1 »

What about Bridged? the two guests would use the host's adapter, and would appear as more PC's on the host network. (Note that Bridged doesn't always work with Wi-Fi, due to poorly-written host Wi-Fi adapter drivers and/or wireless access point firmware. If it works, good. If it doesn't, even after updating the Wi-Fi adapter card driver, then you won't be able to Bridge with Wi-Fi.)

NAT will give you internet if your host has it, but won't allow two PCs to attach to the same adapter. NAT is like a house router with only one LAN port. "NAT network" is supposed to be like NAT with a switch after it, so other PCs can attach to the one NAT connection. Are you sure you used "NAT network" and not just "NAT"?

Host-Only is a connection to, wait for it, the host only. :) It's an independent internal network with the host as one of the possible connections. No internet is passed.

Look at section 6 in the manual for networking types.
Faruk.C

Post by Faruk.C »

Thanks for reply,

I don't want to use "Bridged" because ARP Poising will affect the real network. I want to test on virtual network which access internet. For example, my friend uses VmWare, when he select NAT, all guests are on same network with different local ip and all of them have internet access.

In shortly, I want to setup virtual network and this network can access internet. And guests must be in this network.
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Post by Martin »

Have a look at the Networking chapter in the manual: http://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch06.html
"NAT Network" could be a solution.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Faruk, I was thinking NAT network, too, and since you mentioned you tried that I suggest you look at it again.

However, any form of NAT will allow OS's inside the NAT to access services outside the NAT via IP address. I don't know if your ARP poisoner can be restricted to only test the NAT's address range. But if you are really concerned about how to keep the ARP test fully isolated but still get Internet, you need a pfSense or other router OS with NAT or Bridged on the WAN side and Internal on the LAN side. Connect the guests to the Internal network too. Then use a firewall rule to block the IP address range of the physical network. See viewtopic.php?f=1&t=76667 for how to set the firewall rule with pfSense.
BillG
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

Yes, I believe NAT network is the closest to VMWare NAT in operation. I agree that using an internal network behind a router like pfSense would be the best option. It gives you a fully-featured firewall as well as the routing but otherwise behaves the same way, and pfSense is fast and easy to install (even for a non-Unix person like me).
Bill