[Solved] Impossible open VMs

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
Pibakou

Re: Impossible open VMs

Post by Pibakou »

I did create this VM with number 1 and now it doesn't work anymore ... And if it doesn't exist anymore, how to re-create it?
erdeslawe
Volunteer

Post by erdeslawe »

You're not answering the question:

Does the PATH that appears on the error message exist on the second PC? If not then that's the root cause of your problem! I.e. there is no V:\ Path on the second PC and the Virtual Machine that you insist you copied to that machine is in a different path. The guys that are trying to help need to know where it is, so find it in your Host's File Manager and report its full location! A Screenshot of your File Manager's Screen showing your Drive Structure and the File Path would really help them.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

mpack wrote:Which takes us back to the first post. I await with interest the proof (not a mere assertion) that the path "V:\VirtualBox\VM Pierre Windows 7 (32-bit)" actually exists, on the machine which is displaying the error.
Pibakou wrote:I did create this VM with number 1 and now it doesn't work anymore ... And if it doesn't exist anymore, how to re-create it?
I am not interested in more assertions, as I'm trying to bring this discussion to a conclusion. So proof please. E.g. browse to that folder in your hosts file manager then post a screenshot of the window showing that complete path (including drive letter) in a caption.

Assuming that the error message is in fact correct and the path indeed does not exist then you want to know how to fix the problem. Actually I already alluded to the fix in an earlier post, when I said that I suspect you are unnecessarily copying VirtualBox.xml between hosts, presumably in the belief that this is how you move VMs. It isn't. For the correct way to move VMs see the FAQ: Howto: Move a VM.
Pibakou

Post by Pibakou »

Thank you for the replies.

The screenshot of my File Manager's Screen showing my Drive Structure and the File Path (it is in french):

socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Please find the following file in the picture:
V:\VirtualBox\VM Pierre Windows 7 (32-bit)\VM Pierre Windows 7 (32-bit).vbox
You can't!!! So can't VirtualBox.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Pibakou

Post by Pibakou »

I made this screenshot on Number 2 ... And on Number 2 all is working ... I installed th VM in one external HD. It's the same HD I use on both computers, Number 1 and Number 2.
erdeslawe
Volunteer

Post by erdeslawe »

And, as Socratis has already pointed out the Path to the VM on your external Drive is:

V:\VirtualBox\Windows 7 (32-bit)\Windows 7 (32-bit).vbox

AND NOT, NOT, NOT, ABSOLUTELY NOT:

V:\VirtualBox\VM Pierre Windows 7 (32-bit)\VM Pierre Windows 7 (32-bit).vbox
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Pibakou wrote:I made this screenshot on Number 2 ... And on Number 2 all is working ... I installed th VM in one external HD. It's the same HD I use on both computers, Number 1 and Number 2.
Pibakou wrote:Number 1 (from where I installed previously Windows 7 (32-bit) on one external WD HD, was working first and not anymore now):
So your #1 PC isn't working and you show a screenshot from #2. Hmmmm....
mpack wrote:I await with interest the proof (not a mere assertion) that the path "V:\VirtualBox\VM Pierre Windows 7 (32-bit)" actually exists, on the machine which is displaying the error.
Do you see the problem in your posted info? Do you see which computer you need to post the screenshot from?

And this:
scottgus1 wrote:Open a command window and drag the .vbox file into the command window
is not this:
Pibakou wrote:Hello,

I misunderstood the reply ... Now it's OK and I'm able to give you the screenshot:

You still misunderstood. That screenshot is not a command window. Google is your friend....
Pibakou

Post by Pibakou »

Hello,

Thank you for your help! :) I reinstall all my VMs and now it works.

PB.