[Solved] Impossible open VMs

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
Pibakou

[Solved] Impossible open VMs

Post by Pibakou »

Hello! :)

It is the first time I use this forum and I am not sure to be in the good place. Also excuse me. Excuse too my bad english: I am french. :D

I expose my problem. I have two computers and on the both I use VirtualBox. On the number 1, I create one VM on Windows 7 (32-bit) that I can use without problem on the other computer, number 2. On number 2 computer I installed a version of Linux Ubuntu, and it works. But yesterday when I gone back home and used number 1, was this :

Runtime error opening 'V:\VirtualBox\VM Pierre Windows 7 (32-bit)
\VM Pierre Windows 7 (32-bit).vbox' for reading: -103 (path not found.).

F:\tinderbox\win-5.1\src\vbox\Main\src-server\MachineImpl.cpp[745] (long__cdecl
Machine::i_registeredInit(void)).
Error code: E_FAIL (ox80004005)
Component: MachineWrap
Interface: IMachine {b2547866-a0a1-4391-8b86-6952d82efaa0}

And my VM Linux doesn't appear so ... Somebody could explain to me or help me to resolve this problem, because I prefer work on number 1, more powerfull ? Thank you very much.

Pibakou.
Last edited by Pibakou on 13. Jul 2017, 11:37, edited 1 time in total.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Impossible open VMs

Post by scottgus1 »

Virtualbox tried to open:
'V:\VirtualBox\VM Pierre Windows 7 (32-bit)\VM Pierre Windows 7 (32-bit).vbox'
and couldn't find the vbox file on that path.
Does the drive letter and series of folders and vbox file exist?
Pibakou

Post by Pibakou »

Thanks scottgus1! :)

Yes everything exists, because it is working on number 2 and not in number 1 ... Very strange, because it was working when I installed from number 1.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

If VirtualBox says "path not found" then the path does not exist. I've never known VirtualBox to lie in an error message.

If I'm understanding the problem correctly then your .vbox file contains an absolute path, using Windows path syntax. Naturally this does not work on an Ubuntu host.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Just because a path exists on one PC doesn't mean it exists on another PC.
Pibakou

Post by Pibakou »

Ok ... But it existed by the past ... If it does'nt exist anymore, how do I do for create it at new?
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Please clarify your two physical computers' operating systems. Mpack is hot on the trail with the "Windows path on a Linux host" thought.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

scottgus1 wrote:Please clarify your two physical computers' operating systems. Mpack is hot on the trail with the "Windows path on a Linux host" thought.
On rereading, I assume it's the front end which can't find a VM, rather than the VM which can't find a file. Virtually the same thing though, except that the path to a VM folder is always absolute. So, I'm guessing that the VirtualBox.xml file has been unnecessarily copied between dissimilar hosts.
Pibakou

Post by Pibakou »

Thank you for the reply, scottgus1 and mpack.

I clarify my two physical computers.

Number 1 (from where I installed previously Windows 7 (32-bit) on one external WD HD, was working first and not anymore now):
  • LDLC Saturne SK96-I7-16-H10S4-P10
  • Intel Core i7-6700HQ Processor (6M Cache, up to 3.50 GHz)
  • Mobile Intel HM170 Chipset
  • Crucial DDR4 16 Go (2 x 8 Go) 2133 MHz CL15 ECC Registered SR X4
  • SSDs Crucial MX200
  • WD Blue - WD10SPCX
  • Windows 10 Professional (64-bit)
Number 2 (where the both VM, Windows 7 32-bit) and Ubuntu (32-bit) are working with the same external HD WD where they are installed) :
  • Toshiba Satellite P50-A-14P
  • Intel Core i7-4700MQ Processor (6M Cache, up to 3.40 GHz)
  • Mobile Intel HM86 chipset
  • 4GB DDR3L + 8GB DDR3L (1600 MHz)
  • 1TB (5400 RPM); Serial-ATA Toshiba HD
  • Windows 10 Family (64-bit)
I am a beginer on VM. Could you be tolerant, explicit and simple with me? Thank you! :)
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

As I read, both your hosts are Windows 10. On the host where the W7 guest isn't working and this "path not found" error happens, do you still have a V: drive?
If so, is there a folder in the V: drive called "Virtualbox"?
If so, in that "Virtualbox" folder is there another folder called "VM Pierre Windows 7 (32-bit)"?
If so, in that "VM Pierre Windows 7 (32-bit)" folder is there a file called "VM Pierre Windows 7 (32-bit).vbox"?

Note that your host may be set to hide known extensions, meaning that you may not see a file with the .vbox extension, even if it is there. Google for how to show all file extensions on Windows 10.
Pibakou

Post by Pibakou »

As I read, both your hosts are Windows 10. On the host where the W7 guest isn't working and this "path not found" error happens, do you still have a V: drive?
If so, is there a folder in the V: drive called "Virtualbox"?
If so, in that "Virtualbox" folder is there another folder called "VM Pierre Windows 7 (32-bit)"?
If so, in that "VM Pierre Windows 7 (32-bit)" folder is there a file called "VM Pierre Windows 7 (32-bit).vbox"?
Yes for all ...! Otherwise it would not work on number 2 ... And it did work previously, when I installed from number 1.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Pibakou wrote:Otherwise it would not work on number 2
Not true. As I stated earlier, just because a path exists on one PC doesn't mean it exists on another even if you copied it. It may have disappeared or a name could have been changed.

On the computer that has the error and where the guest won't open, open the folder window to the .vbox file. Open a command window and drag the .vbox file into the command window. The full path and name of the vbox file will appear in the command window. Take a screenshot of that command window and post it here as an attachment using the Upload Attachment tab below the textbox where you type new posts. I want to see what the computer thinks the path to the vbox file is.
Pibakou

Post by Pibakou »

Well ... I don't know how to "Open a command window and drag the .vbox file into the command window" ... :(
Pibakou

Post by Pibakou »

Hello,

I misunderstood the reply ... Now it's OK and I'm able to give you the screenshot:

mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Which takes us back to the first post. I await with interest the proof (not a mere assertion) that the path "V:\VirtualBox\VM Pierre Windows 7 (32-bit)" actually exists, on the machine which is displaying the error.