drag and drop, shared folders

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
NO5

drag and drop, shared folders

Post by NO5 »

i have a windows 10 host and ubuntu 17.4 guest, i want to set up a shared folder, i entered in windows that the shared folder would be c:\shared ( and created the folder ) but i dont know how to access it from ubuntu (guest)
also drag and drop bidirectional is enabled but doesn't seem to work. thanks in advance
NO5

Re: drag and drop, shared folders

Post by NO5 »

drag and drop actually worked, just the file was put in a weird folder
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

• Follow a "start the VM from cold-boot"/"observe error"/"shutdown the VM" cycle.
  • With the VM shut down completely (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response (see the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form).
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
NO5

Post by NO5 »

i dont think there is an error, i just dont know how to do it.
Attachments
Ubuntu17.4-2017-05-12-05-23-09.zip
(22.73 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

OK, everything is in order from a setup point of view. You could improve some things by a) installing the Extension Pack, b) enabling 3D acceleration, c) increasing the vRAM to 64 MB, and d) giving 2 vCPUs to the VM. But that's not going to help you with your shared folders, it's simply going to improve your overall experience.

Back to the shared folders problem, since you've already figured out that the drag and drop files are "dropped" in the /tmp directory. See Ch. 4.3.2. Automatic mounting and in particular the part about being a member of the "vboxsf" user group.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
NO5

Post by NO5 »

ok i will try , thanks