Trying to use USB 3.0 results in fatal error - no boot medium

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
JoshLLP

Trying to use USB 3.0 results in fatal error - no boot medium

Post by JoshLLP »

I've got a Windows 10 virtual machine on my Debian 8 laptop that runs just fine when I have the USB setting on USB 2.0, but when I switch to USB 3.0 because it won't read the external drive I have plugged into my laptop, I get a 'fatal error - no boot medium found' message. When I switch back to USB 2.0, it works just fine.

I've searched through the forum search and also Google, but haven't found anything that fixes the problem. Does anyone have any pointers/ideas/directions that might fix this issue? Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you!

EDIT: I forgot to add that I've got the Win10 .iso and VDI saved on this same external drive, so Virtualbox is obviously able to read/boot from it, but again: if I try and use the USB 3.0 settings (which this external drive is), it won't fire up the VM.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Trying to use USB 3.0 results in fatal error - no boot medium

Post by socratis »

Start with USB 2.
Follow a "start the VM from cold-boot"/"login"/"shutdown the VM" cycle. With the VM shut down completely (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log". Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response (see the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form).

Now switch to USB 3. Repeat the process. When the VM fails, shut it down by closing the window and select "Power off". Continue with the log process. Attach that zipped log as well.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
JoshLLP

Post by JoshLLP »

Attached are the zipped logs, USB2 and USB3. I hope I did this right, thank you for the assistance and let me know if I goofed it up or you need anything else!
Attachments
USB3.log.zip
(114 Bytes) Downloaded 18 times
USB2.log.zip
(20.66 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
Last edited by socratis on 9. Apr 2017, 11:13, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
JoshLLP

Post by JoshLLP »

For some reason, the USB3 log was empty but the USB2 wasn't. I copied what I think should have been caught by the USB3 log and attached it here.
Last edited by socratis on 9. Apr 2017, 11:17, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

I'm not sure why would enabling the USB3 option prevent VirtualBox from reading the external hard drive. I can't say that I remember a similar case. Unless you have some USB filters involved? I can't see that from the logs.
Plus I can't see much with a "working" log. Yes, it's working. I can't see why the other one is failing...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
JoshLLP

Post by JoshLLP »

Huh, well, I appreciate the look in any case. Thanks for giving it a shot!