AMD-V with Ryzen not yet supported?

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: AMD-V with Ryzen not yet supported?

Post by socratis »

A "microcode update" is still a software update and a really harder one to implement and deploy. And as long as AMD has not released one, then VirtualBox has to work around it, until (and if) such a microcode update ever happens. And even then, the workaround would still be in the VirtualBox code, it will never go away...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
michaln
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Any and all

Post by michaln »

We have reported the problem to AMD. The workaround (not "hack") has to stay in place until we have information about how to distinguish Ryzens with working vs. non-working VME.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

michaln wrote:The workaround (not "hack")
Off-topic question maybe, but when wouldn't a "workaround" like this be called a "hack"? You check your CPU, and if it's one of the affected ones, you modify the CPU leafs to present something different, to impersonate another CPU, right? I mean *I* could call it either, but why specifically a "not hack"?

Honest question, maybe a little two much in the fine details of the English language? ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
michaln
Oracle Corporation

Post by michaln »

A hack implies something that could (or should) be done better, but it's quick and simple and does most of what's needed. A workaround means something that works around a bug (typically someone else's bug) in a way that solves the problem while triggering a minimum of negative side effects.

A workaround is a non-optimal but typically the best possible solution. A hack is by definition not the best possible solution.

In this particular case, we can't fix the CPU (that would be the optimal solution) but we can make the problem invisible for 99.99% of affected users (which makes it the best possible solution). I hope that makes some sense.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Yes, it does. As in:
Hack: we quickly hacked together a quick and dirty solution.
Workaround: we thought of this thoroughly and found a safe working solution.

And yes, it was the fine details of the English language, but once you explained it, terms like Hackathon and hack* started being "clearer".

Thank you ser!
michaln
Oracle Corporation

Post by michaln »

There will be a fix coming from AMD in the form of a microcode update (embedded in updated BIOS). When that will actually become available to users is unknown and depends on OEMs.
metastatic

Post by metastatic »

michaln wrote:There will be a fix coming from AMD in the form of a microcode update (embedded in updated BIOS). When that will actually become available to users is unknown and depends on OEMs.
Any update on this? Has a microcode update been released, which resolves the issues raised?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I'm afraid you should ask AMD about that, not Oracle.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

Actually the microcode update would come from the motherboard manufacture as provided from AMD. That makes it take a lot longer if at all, but that's the way it happens.
michaln
Oracle Corporation

Post by michaln »

metastatic wrote:Any update on this? Has a microcode update been released, which resolves the issues raised?
AMD did their part and released the fix in AGESA 1.0.0.6. Whether an update is available for your board is something you need to check with your OEM.
metastatic

Post by metastatic »

Thanks for the informative reply. It is appreciated.
Thorshall

Post by Thorshall »

I use the AGESA 1.0.0.6b with ryzen 1800x. And VirtualBox-5.1.28 is working perfectly. :D
wdeviers

Post by wdeviers »

I am supposedly running AGESA 1.0.0.6 (but not 6b) on an MSI board. I copied an XP VM from a previous machine to a new Ryzen 2 2700x box. Virtualization is on in the BIOS and detected via lscpu. VirtualBox warned me to turn CPU virtualization off, and I did. The options are now disabled. I ran
modifyvm a2858727-f303-46cd-b44a-90af035aa114 --cpuidset 1 00800f11 00000800 56d8220b 078bfbfd
as suggested. My XP VM still hard-locks during boot on version 6.0.5-128513 installed from the .run file on Arch Linux. Attached is the most recent log and output of lscpu.

Is this expected before 1.0.0.6b or merely before 1.0.0.6? I'm going to ask MSI either way. Thoughts appreciated!
Attachments
VBox.log.gz
(58.7 KiB) Downloaded 28 times
lscpu.out.gz
(857 Bytes) Downloaded 27 times