how to backup files

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
kurokirasama

how to backup files

Post by kurokirasama »

Hi,

i have the following situation.

I backed up a second partition of a sdcard in archlinux running on virtualbox on windows 8.1. The sdcard had an accident an the only copy of the files is the one in archlinux (i have several folders).

I've been told that if i close the vm i will lose the files since i'm running archlinux as a live cd.

I tried the following to "save" my files:
1- ftp: I tried uploading to a ftp but i got a message "the file is plain" (?) and couldn't been uploaded.
2- Gdrive: i tried uploading to google drive, but i couldn't download gdrive executable since i got a message "device has no storage left"...

I there anything i can do to save my files? like emailing the files to gmail (previous compression?) or can they be accessed through windows file explorer?

I'm not very knowledgeable in linux commands so any help will be appreciated!!

Regards,
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: how to backup files

Post by socratis »

This come right after you already lost your files because you were on a Live DVD...

First of all, I would take a snapshot. Right now. That way, even if the power goes down, you still have your current state available. Then I would start looking with a little bit more patience why the FTP fails. Your "it fails" won't get us far, unless you are more specific, with full detail actually.

You didn't also give enough details about your files, their sizes, etc. If they're text files, they can certainly be compressed and e-mailed to yourself. If they're already compressed files (ZIP, PNG, etc), not really. Well, actually it would still help because you can get a bunch of them in a single archive and just have to deal with one file, if it's not too big...

Another thing you could try on the fly is one of those file-sharing sites that do not have to install anything, you just use your browser to upload them, and you get back a unique URL.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
kurokirasama

Post by kurokirasama »

Hi,

so, if i take a snapshot, i won't lose the files even after shutdown?

The files are the ones that exists on the second partition of a sd card to be used with the android app link2sd; is a set of folders...

Now i realized that the ftp didn't work because i tried to upload folders and not files.

I can't use tar for each folder because i got "no space left on device" message.

I had archlinux without ui, only command line, so i can't use browsers...

Thankz
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

How much work are we talking about? How much you can recreate?

Because I don't want to spend hours trying out a solution, when we're talking about an hour of work that can be easily recreated... We're talking about a Live CD...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.