synergy, virtualbox, and unexpected caps lock behavior

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
dleghthikos

synergy, virtualbox, and unexpected caps lock behavior

Post by dleghthikos »

computer 1 is running windows 10 and a synergy server, computer 2 is running windows 10 and a synergy client and running ubuntu server in virtualbox.

when caps lock is engaged on computer 1, behavior is as expected in on computer 2 except within the virtualized ubuntu server. in the virtualized ubuntu server, each keypress toggles caps lock on/off and then inputs the corresponding character. holding a key down does not repeat characters but instead continuously toggles caps lock. when caps lock is engaged on computer 2, behavior is as expected within the virtualized ubuntu server.

i have not had the opportunity to test this using other virtualized operating systems.

i was hoping someone here could tell me if there is a setting in virtualbox that might fix this problem.
dleghthikos

Re: synergy, virtualbox, and unexpected caps lock behavior

Post by dleghthikos »

bump
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Sorry, can't help no matter how many bumps there are, as I have no idea what "synergy" is.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

I have run Synergy before but not with Virtualbox at the same time. There is likely no setting in Virtualbox that will clear up what you're seeing. In all possibility it is an incompatibility. Both Synergy and Virtualbox redirect keyboard presses, and they're probably fighting each other. You can put this issue on the Bugtracker if you like, but I wouldn't hold out much hope for a quick fix.

(Synergy is a keyboard/mouse sharing-over-Ethernet program that allows more than one PC to use one keyboard & mouse. One PC serves its mouse & keyboard to the other(s), and when the mouse moves to the end of the main monitor it shows up on the next PC's monitor and keyboard/mouse clicks are redirected to that next PC.)