Bluetooth keyboard and mouse on a iMac (2009) host with Windows guests

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
itisspeedy

Bluetooth keyboard and mouse on a iMac (2009) host with Windows guests

Post by itisspeedy »

It has been a while since I have researched the forum and added my message to a few threads.

I have an iMac (late 2009 model) and ever since version 5.0.14 all new versions would take over my mouse and keyboard and my iMac is crippled. I have to login from a different machine and kill ALL the processes to be able to get back control. Nothing else works.

I have tried to see if there is a chance for a timeout or something, but it seems that all my efforts are futile.
Attaching my last log, which seem to have some clues, but I would leave it for the knowledgeable guys with internal information to take a look. It is from XP (I know it is old, but the behavior is the same with any Windows I have -- 7x64, 10, etc.

I have to go back to 4.3.x version in order for me to work with my virtual machines.
I would be grateful for any information, containing clue how to diagnose further and ix this.

Thanks in advance!
Attachments
VBox.log
Latest log from an attempt to start a Windows XP minimal machine.
(69.34 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Bluetooth keyboard and mouse on a iMac (2009) host with Windows guests

Post by socratis »

Open up Terminal. Post the output of the command:
  • VBoxManage showvminfo "Your_Virtual_Machine_Name"
My gut feeling? You have an empty or a very wide USB filter.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
itisspeedy

Post by itisspeedy »

Your gut feeling is right, socratis! YOU DA MAN!

I removed the USB filters and now all systems load. Thank you very much!

Here is a fragment of it:

USB Device Filters:

Index: 0
Active: yes
Name: GenericUSB
VendorId:
ProductId:
Revision:
Manufacturer:
Product:
Remote:
Serial Number:
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

The unfortunate thing is that you could have solved it a long time ago when I told you to do exactly the same thing ;)

Glad you got your devices back...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
itisspeedy

Post by itisspeedy »

:-) True. I have another machine, which works, so this one was a backup and now I have two.

The interesting bit is that it works on the other machine and not on this one. If I define a new filter and it is too generic, it fails again.
But I don't need to have it defined anyway. It was there because I used to attach a lot of testing equipment on it.

Thanks again and cheers!
ItIsSpeedy