Discuss the 5.1.14 release

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
frank
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: Debian Sid
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows

Discuss the 5.1.14 release

Post by frank »

Discuss the 5.1.14 release here.
You can download the release here.
skimmer333
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Oracle Ent Linux 6.5

Re: Discuss the 5.1.14 release

Post by skimmer333 »

After the install of 5.1.14, it asked if I wanted to download the extension pack for 5.1.12. However it download 5.1.14.
Papolytic

Post by Papolytic »

Host: win 7 pro 64, Guest 1 : Win 10 64 pro / Guest 2 : Ubuntu 16.04 LTS 64.

I can see one thing that got fixed for me on this release: When I tried to delete a snapshot on the very last one (.12 and .13) I would get a freeze at 36% each time, either VM. But: It's no longer a problem.

I've not yet backed up my VM's today but will try my bug https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/16381 to see if that one is still alive. I suspect it is. Ever since the 2 separate installs during VM guest tools , I've had the Win 10 crash within 60 seconds of startup. I'll report back.

Edit: Yes, bug https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/16381 is still there in 5.1.14..
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Papolytic wrote:Yes, bug https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/16381 is still there in 5.1.14..
May I suggest something? It's usually better and faster, if problems get first addressed in the forums. More than 95% of the issues are resolved over here, which keeps the developers focusing on the bug fixes and enhancements, with no need for another ticket to keep track of.

"Windows 10 guest 64 bit reboots itself on 5.1.12 win 7 host"? Something sounds funny. Not "ha-ha, funny", but "the yogurt tastes funny", kind of "funny". So, if you can, please open a new thread in the Windows Guests section. Way too many more eyes around the forums compared to the bugtracker.

Plus, you filed the ticket 5 days ago. Without it being widespread, you didn't expect a new version to address your issue, right? I haven't taken a look at the log from the ticket. I hope I can it do later today...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Papolytic

Post by Papolytic »

Yes it does seem "funny", but after looking around Windows guests, not as uncommon as you might think. Anyway I took your advice and put a more fleshed out version of what's going on (symptom wise) on that VM since .12 (I'm pretty sure it started with .12). The attachment can remain on the bug report since I have a link to it. Did I expect a new version to address it? Nah. I didn't expect it to address another problem I had either but it did which surprised me. Oh yeah :: Here is the link to the the problem and I'll stay out of this thread & bugbase with it now: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=81477

Thanks much.
Last edited by socratis on 18. Jan 2017, 18:04, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.