Emulate Touch-Screen?

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
plarner

Emulate Touch-Screen?

Post by plarner »

Hi,

I'm working on a web-page which has an issue in IE11/Edge on touch enabled desktop displays. I run VirtualBox on Windows 7, and a have Win 10 VM set up. Does anyone know of any way i can make virtual box send either my mouse or touch pad events as native touch events to the VM? (Aside from VirtualBox I have tried a few methods in the host OS - nothing seems to work) I dont have a touch screen.

Thanks for reading
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Emulate Touch-Screen?

Post by scottgus1 »

The available guest pointer hardware, in the guest's System settings, Motherboard tab, are: PS/2 mouse, USB tablet, and USB multi-touch tablet. I don't know if any of these are able to transfer touch into the guest and act like a touchscreen.
plarner

Post by plarner »

Thanks for your reply, unfortunately touch pad / multi touch pad didn't seem to translate the clicks into touch events when testing it here http://tomicloud.com/2012/03/multi-touch-demo, perhaps that is expected anyway as we are talking about the equivalent of a track pad or graphics tablet.
palswim

Post by palswim »

Though the OP related to a Windows Guest, I am running a Linux (Android-x86) Guest and want to interact with it with a mouse over VRDP. I can't seem to find a mode where I can just click within the RDP window and have the click translate to a touch event at that location within the Guest.

I had read that the "USB Tablet" mode uses "absolute coordinates", but this seems just to require me to hold down the mouse click in order to move the mouse pointer.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

palswim wrote:and want to interact with it with a mouse over VRDP
You're adding an extra layer of complexity here. Does it work if you just have the VM locally?
palswim wrote:but this seems just to require me to hold down the mouse click in order to move the mouse pointer
You have to hold the mouse down in order to move it? That doesn't sound right...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
palswim

Post by palswim »

socratis wrote:You're adding an extra layer of complexity here. Does it work if you just have the VM locally?
It works the same on the local VM window.
socratis wrote:
palswim wrote:but this seems just to require me to hold down the mouse click in order to move the mouse pointer
You have to hold the mouse down in order to move it? That doesn't sound right...
Yes, for me "USB Tablet" behaves like a laptop touchpad where a mouse click would represent my finger.