Controller IDE not showing under storage tab?

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
lod9

Controller IDE not showing under storage tab?

Post by lod9 »

Hi when I go into the storage tab of my newly created VM there is no controller IDE. I cannot insert any ISO to run any operating system on any VM. I've tried recreating and restarting my machine nothing works. I'm pretty new to this so maybe there is something i'm not understanding. All the storage tab contains is Controller:SATA - Windows 10 64bit.vdi and then under that "empty" ?
Thnaks!
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: Controller IDE not showing under storage tab?

Post by Perryg »

The empty is probably your virtual CD/DVD and that is where the iso should go. Click it once and then to the right of that you should see a pull down where you can select the file.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Take also a look at the following thread, especially the last message. Ignore the IDE/SATA controller, just focus on the highlighted icons: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=77768
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Mehul

Post by Mehul »

Hi, I just encountered the same problem. For me, I clicked on empty and tick the Live CD/DVD and then clicked on the blue icon and then chose an image. That worked for me. On booting, do the same and go ahead!