Can't change Ubuntu screen from 640x480

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
WoodstockDave

Can't change Ubuntu screen from 640x480

Post by WoodstockDave »

I'm running Ubuntu 14.04 as a guest on a 64-bit Windows 7 environment.

The 5.1.8 VirtualBox extension shows up as being installed. The display memory size is set to 128MB. But when I go into the Ubuntu Settings->Display, the only option is 640x480. This screen size is useless as some of the windows (like Display settings) don't completely show and aren't scrollable.

Do I need to recreate the guest virtual machine and do another Ubuntu install?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Can't change Ubuntu screen from 640x480

Post by socratis »

No, most probably you need to install the Guest Additions. Please take a look at the User Manual (https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/), Ch. 4.2.2 Guest Additions for Linux, or take a look at https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/LinuxAdditionsDebug

Is this by any chance the Ubuntu Server?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
WoodstockDave

Re: Can't change Ubuntu screen from 640x480

Post by WoodstockDave »

In the manager, changed the Preferences -> Display -> Maximum Guest Screen Size from Auto to None
Created a new VM and installed Ubuntu 14.04.
Ran Devices -> Insert Guest Additions CD Image
This brought up a terminal session which ran some commands
After rebooting, I was able to change the Ubuntu settings for display to something useful

Something must have gone wrong in the original VM adding the guest additions. I ran the process again and it said that they were already installed but when I told it to go ahead, it reinstalled them and then the larger screen sizes could be selected.