VirtualBox composite USB Device support

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
altronrain
Primary OS: Fedora other
VBox Version: OSE Fedora
Guest OSses: Win8.1Pro

VirtualBox composite USB Device support

Post by altronrain »

Hello,
I'm a school system administrator. Recently we had a global PC change and now i'm bound to use new ones.
What's the subject:
New one use VirtualBox platform (5.0.14 as i can commit) with Windows 8.1 guest OS. Host: Slightly cut Fedora 20 Release. In every class i had a Panasonic elite Panaboard UB-T880W board. So, I cant make them work properly on my guest OS. From Panasonic support i only could learn that this board is composite USB device, that consists of ~4 devices (including audio, wi-fi and other modules). After connection guest OS cannot detect all parts properly and there are errors during drivers install. How can i get such composite usb-device working propelry on my OS?
I'm not so skilled in VBox or linux-OS technical issues. But it's a quite big problem that i can't solve myself. What should i check/do to solve this issue? What information also do u need for solving this issue?
Best regards!
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: VirtualBox composite USB Device support

Post by mpack »

For composite USB devices create a USB filter for each element of the composite that your VM needs to capture.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

With the USB device plugged in and the VM not running, open a terminal and post the output of the following command:
    VBoxManage list usbhost
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
altronrain

Post by altronrain »

Okay, thank for ur reply. I gonna test ur advice till Friday. Hope this helps. Anyway i gonna give my reply if smth go wrong or smoothly =)
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

altronrain wrote:I gonna test ur advice till Friday.
Keep us posted...
One friendly advice; since this is a multi-lingual forum, terms such as "ur" and "smth" might not be easily understood by non-native English speakers.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
altronrain

Post by altronrain »

Sorry for not posting for a long period of time. Had an official journey during this weeks also.
What I've done:
1.Tested Panaboard on Host Win_x64_8.1Pro (to exclude opportunity that it simply don't work on this OS)
2. Made a TEST PC on same hardware. Host: Fedora 24 release, guest: Win_x64_8.1Pro Vbox ver: 5.1.8
3. Made some tests according your advices.

1. On host Windows this board works, just as manufacturer says. You only need install drivers ofcource :3

2. 1) Installed Host Fedora 24
2) Installed VirtualBox 5.1.8 and requirements for it. Also Extension Pack.
3) Installed Guest Win_x64_8.1Pro
4) Installed Driver for Panaboard and .net framework 3.5 (required)
5) As you adviced me, connected Panaboard to PC (vbox finds 3 (seems that this board have only 3 devices, not 4 or more) devices)
6) Connected them to Guest using separate filters for each part.
As a result, Win started device installation process, and it seems that it fails ( tried 2 more times), cause it simply endless.
Results:
- Audio part of the board installs correctly, i even can test it and hear system sounds through board.
- Usb ports integrated in board works well too. Tested using my transcended flash 16Gb.
- Board itself (and also Pen, maybe touch also) didnt install correctly (See screenshots. It has Error 10 in device monitor) + Also there are some HID usb devices with it, that seems to be parts of the board too.

Had a chat with other schools too ( they also a part of a project and using same PCs), seems that Hitachi Starboard, Smartboard and some other works well. And they are lucky enough (but not me =\). So, I can say that elite Panaboard (from Panasonic comp.) incompatible with latest Vbox ver. Hope something will change in future (but actually chance is little, cause who will test it (with deep tech coveradge) + boards are out of production) =(

P.S.: Also not a native English speaker, so i tried to made some remarks for you on screens. Also sorry for screens quality. 10:00 p.m. I'm at work testing this! With my chief making comments also! I forgot that there are Scissors or other programms. Really sorry. ARGHHHH!! :twisted:
Attachments
Adapted_3.gif
Adapted_3.gif (82.78 KiB) Viewed 2836 times
Adapted_2.gif
Adapted_2.gif (120.43 KiB) Viewed 2836 times
Adapted_1.gif
Adapted_1.gif (42.06 KiB) Viewed 2836 times