about possibilities USB Boot with installation instead VB-file

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
ZonkHonk

about possibilities USB Boot with installation instead VB-file

Post by ZonkHonk »

1, Is it possible to run a virtulaization of a OS i installed on a Stick? Or just possible to run a real installed OS which isnt made for Virtualbox?
--I want a bootable Linux stick, but to work at home i would preffer to boot it from VB to have a easy switch betwen Linux and my Windows7 than.
--Plus i need persistence in both Modes.

2, Is there a way to run VB as a portable installation form my USBstick?
--Found already some "portable" installations but they always dont work well.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: about possibilities USB Boot with installation instead VB-file

Post by scottgus1 »

Not natively, and Not natively.
Virtualbox has not been designed to boot from a USB stick, although there are web tutorials that say it can be done with some finagling

Virtualbox requires installation to run, and even the portable versions require admin rights to partially install. Note that the forums don't support the portable versions.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

What you could try, if you're careful, is to install Virtualbox on both computers, then save the guest on the USB stick. (Although that's a lot of writes to the USB stick and it may wear out quickly.) You can take the USB stick back and forth between computers, plugging it in before you start Virtualbox.

You will have to be careful to not unplug the usb stick while the guest is running or bad things can happen.

Another idea is to install two completely separate guests and sync files within the guests to an internet syncing service like Dropbox. Then you get persistence without the usb-stick wearout and unplug risks.

If you don't want Dropbox-like services in your guest, you could sync your data files using the usb stick.
ZonkHonk

Post by ZonkHonk »

Thank you for the quick answers even as i hoped for others :P they saved me the next 2 "frustrating" weekends