Discuss the 5.1.8 release

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Re: Discuss the 5.1.8 release

Post by Martin »

With the enabled="false" key it shouldn't matter if it is there or not.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

That's a good call Martin, I completely missed it! I just compared my FreeDOS.vbox with BrianG's and the whole line was not there... :oops:

But the question is how did it get there in the first place. There is no GUI for manipulating the LPT ports, and according to the description of the VM:
This is normally set up with LPT1 passing through to my real LPT1 port to use the EMP20.
It mostly works too!

These commands created the lpt1 port inside the VM and connected it through to the real LPT1:
VBoxManage modifyvm "FreeDOS 1.1" --lptmode1 LPT1
VBoxManage modifyvm "FreeDOS 1.1" --lpt1 0x378 7

This command can be used to disable the lpt1 port in the VM:
VBoxManage modifyvm "FreeDOS 1.1" --lpt1 off
Does that ring a bell?

As for the 8 network cards, that's VirtualBox doing it, not you. There used to be 24 or 32 NICs if I'm not mistaken. They've toned it down a bit... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
BrianG61UK
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Windows, DOS, Linux

Post by BrianG61UK »

But I only did that on THAT VM.
Why is the same line, that I was asked to delete, present in ALL my VMs?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

That would be a question that involves you and your computer.

I can't even try it because it comes up with an error: "VBoxManage: error: Unknown option: --lptmode1". Maybe because I don't have any LPT ports?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
BrianG61UK

Post by BrianG61UK »

Martin wrote:With the enabled="false" key it shouldn't matter if it is there or not.
I've had a chance to try it now and you are correct.
It's no better after deleting that line.
BrianG61UK

Post by BrianG61UK »

socratis wrote:That would be a question that involves you and your computer.

I can't even try it because it comes up with an error: "VBoxManage: error: Unknown option: --lptmode1". Maybe because I don't have any LPT ports?
Yes, I should think that's probably why.

Ticket #16127 created https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/16127
Last edited by BrianG61UK on 30. Oct 2016, 01:23, edited 1 time in total.
superkarl

Post by superkarl »

Hi, I reported an issue here:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=80279

Please check.
Moltke

Post by Moltke »

Hi everyone! I just updated VirtualBox from 5.1.6 to the current one, and honestly, I'm having an issue which I didn't before the update. I'm getting a message about mouse integration support, and if I click to capture the pointer it got "trapped" in there and I have to turn the VM off, otherwise I'm not able to use it on the host, and yes, I pressed CTRL-right with no results; it does nothing. I want to uninstall it and reinstall 5.1.6, but since I haven't done this before I have to ask: Will I lose my VMs after that? should I clone/back up the VDIs? Thank you. :D
BrianG61UK

Post by BrianG61UK »

Moltke wrote:Hi everyone! I just updated VirtualBox from 5.1.6 to the current one, and honestly, I'm having an issue which I didn't before the update. I'm getting a message about mouse integration support, and if I click to capture the pointer it got "trapped" in there and I have to turn the VM off, otherwise I'm not able to use it on the host, and yes, I pressed CTRL-right with no results; it does nothing. I want to uninstall it and reinstall 5.1.6, but since I haven't done this before I have to ask: Will I lose my VMs after that? should I clone/back up the VDIs? Thank you. :D
On a Windows host you can certainly just uninstall VB and reinstall a slightly different version and everything is still there.
I've been swapping back and forth between 3.1.2 and 3.1.8 quite a bit.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

• You can upgrade/downgrade VirtualBox on any OS, not just Windows.
• I really hope you meant 5.x.x and not 3.x.x, as it's just way too old.
BrianG61UK

Post by BrianG61UK »

socratis wrote:• You can upgrade/downgrade VirtualBox on any OS, not just Windows.
• I really hope you meant 5.x.x and not 3.x.x, as it's just way too old.
Yeah, 5 :oops:
Papolytic

Post by Papolytic »

After testing with 5.1.8 & 5.1.9 latest testbuild:

As noted before, YouTube & other videos don't work from any browser, so I filed this:
https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/16104
marcthin

Post by marcthin »

Thanks Papolytic, I have the same problem with my linux distributions (50 of them.....). Youtube and Flash the VM are completly blokt.
I have downgradet to 5.1.2 and that version works no problem at all.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

If you upgrade from 5.1.6, there is a problem with NAT and resetting connections. The issue is also present if you upgrade from 5.0.26 to 5.0.28. There are several duplicates (damn, people do not search anymore):
  • #16084: ssl connection incorrectly reset when using NAT
  • #16095: Quicken web connect feature fails after installing latest virtual box release
  • #16103: Cannot establish stable web connection through NAT, other networking issues
  • #16113: Problems with certain websites after upgrading to latest version 5.0.28
  • #16126: NAT CHECKSUM RST problem on 5.1.8 r111374 (Qt5.5.1)
  • #16141: Connection resets with NAT networking on 5.028, 5.1.8 and 5.1.9-111655
  • #16142: For info about last update - Websites now working
  • #16163: Problem connecting to checkpoint secure remote in windows xp guest on OSX on virtual box build 5.0.28
  • #16210: ssl reset seen on browser for specific websites on virtual box 5.1.8, no issues seen on 5.1.6
and an in depth discussion in the thread "Browsing, the connection was reset", with several host/guest combinations having the exact same problem.

Posting here because it directly affects 5.1.8, as a reference only. If there are any comments, please post them in the thread linked above.
Fixed with 5.1.10.

Edit: .
2016-10-27 : Added two more bugs that seem related, #16095 and #16113.
2016-10-28 : Added one more bug #16126 and marked (strikeout) all the duplicates.
2016-11-03 : Added #16141.
2016-11-07 : Added #16163.
2016-11-21 : Added #16142, #16210.
2016-11-22 : ADDED FIX WITH 5.1.10. 
Papolytic

Post by Papolytic »

marcthin wrote:Thanks Papolytic, I have the same problem with my linux distributions (50 of them.....). Youtube and Flash the VM are completly blokt.
I have downgradet to 5.1.2 and that version works no problem at all.
I just tried testbuild 111573, and the YouTube problems are gone for me on Ubuntu guest & W10 guest. (win 7 pro 64 host). I'll mark this in my "issue" update as well.

Cheers.

Note re W10 guest:: YouTube's video worked fine at boot. TO get sound working again, I had to go into "playback properties" and get rid of the playback default device, then re-add it, and now it works fine.