Virtualbox Teleportation error (Failed to load unit 'cpum' (VERR_INVALID_FLAGS))

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
GDS

Virtualbox Teleportation error (Failed to load unit 'cpum' (VERR_INVALID_FLAGS))

Post by GDS »

I'm making a Vbox teleportation application for VM migration between two similar Dell machines on the same subnet.

The source is an ubuntu 14.04 VM that needs to be teleported to client Dell server which is hosting an unbooted VM with a harddisk .vdi on a nfs-shared folder with the original VM. The client does not have any .iso files associated with it..

When the teleportation is initiated, the process reaches 90% and then exits with the following error:
VBoxManage: error: Teleportation failed
VBoxManage: error: Failed to load unit 'cpum' (VERR_INVALID_FLAGS) . . .

I looked up online and found just one relevant reply to a similar query. So I typed the following command at the client end. VBoxManage setextradata vm_name VBoxInternal/CPUM/CMPXCHG16B 1

Still the problem persists.

Please advise
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Virtualbox Teleportation error (Failed to load unit 'cpum' (VERR_INVALID_FLAGS))

Post by scottgus1 »

The manual, section 7.2, instructs about teleporting. There is a green "Note" box that says this:
The Manual wrote:In rare cases, if the CPUs of the source and the target are very different, teleporting can fail with an error message, or the target may hang. This may happen especially if the VM is running application software that is highly optimized to run on a particular CPU without correctly checking that certain CPU features are actually present. VirtualBox filters what CPU capabilities are presented to the guest operating system. Advanced users can attempt to restrict these virtual CPU capabilities with the VBoxManage --modifyvm --cpuid command; see Section 8.8.6, “Teleporting settings”.
Maybe this is what you are hitting?
GDS wrote:two similar Dell machines
Are they similar, as in almost identical processors and motherboard, or are they the exact same processor and motherboard?