Exiting Seamless Mode

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
wwwKris

Exiting Seamless Mode

Post by wwwKris »

I'm having trouble exiting seamless mode. It's supposed to be the Host Key (right Ctrl on my system) and L but when I press that key combination, it brings up the VirtualBox Log Viewer. Is there something else I need to do to exit seamless mode? I'm using VirtualBox on Windows 10 x64 if it makes any difference.

Thanks,
Kris
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Exiting Seamless Mode

Post by socratis »

That's because the VM does not have the focus when you press HostKey-L., your host does. If the default key for "Seamless Mode" is RightCtrl-L and the "Show Log" is Ctrl-L, then, yes, there is going to go to the VirtualBox Manager and not the VM, if the VM doesn't have the focus.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
wwwKris

Post by wwwKris »

Thanks for the reply socratis. I suspected that it might have something to do with the focus so I tried giving the VM focus by pressing Host+Home but that didn't seem to work either. Trying again this morning, what does seem to work is clicking the taskbar for the VM (the one on top of my host taskbar) before pressing Host+L. What also worked was accessing the pop-up menu on the taskbar for the guest VM and clicking the icon with the two windows to exit seamless mode. I've attached a screenshot so you can see what I mean.
screenshot.jpg
screenshot.jpg (44.32 KiB) Viewed 10266 times
Is there an easier way to use the keyboard to switch to/from seamless mode? My guess is that the answer is no because you could have any number of hosts running and VirtualBox wouldn't know which one you wanted to have focus but thought I'd ask.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

wwwKris wrote:Is there an easier way to use the keyboard to switch to/from seamless mode? My guess is that the answer is no
Yes. It's No.

Pun intended ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
wwwKris

Post by wwwKris »

Thanks socratis. The replies are appreciated - pun and all. :)