How do I get an image to a Virtual PC / Como llego de una imagen a una PC Virtual

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
Ruben Arno

How do I get an image to a Virtual PC / Como llego de una imagen a una PC Virtual

Post by Ruben Arno »

How do I get an image to a Virtual PC

Hello

Which recommend programs and formats to reach an operational image of a complete hard disk (eg Ghost IMG) serves me to take her as PC Virutal "Virtual Box"? format and program that should be used to generate the complete image of a PC? and then that image will serve me to take it as a Virtual PC on "Virtual Box"

Well, I hope will understand what I am looking to do and listen to their recommendations.

Note: For me it would be great because it would be a way to make a backup of a team that I will discontinue, but at the same time if necessary consult later I can easily access with I virtualize, an example is an employee who leaves the post , do the operative image and keep it, and bring a clean image for the new employee who is going to use the equipment, but if any area of ​​the team needs to see something I have available to consult or get the data they need.

Hugs and already thank you very much.

Ruben Arno

ESPAÑOL
Como llego de una imagen a una PC Virtual

Hola

Que programas y formatos recomiendan para llegar a que una imagen operativa de un disco rigido completo ( por ejemplo IMG de Ghost ) me sirva para tomarla como PC Virutal en "Virtual Box" ? que formato y programa conviene usar para generar la imagen completa de una PC ? y luego que esa imagen me sirva para tomarla como una PC Virtual en "Virtual Box"

Bueno, espero se entienda lo que estoy buscando hacer y escucho sus recomendaciones.

Nota: para mi esto seria genial porque seria una forma de hacer un backup de un equipo que voy a discontinuar, pero al mismo tiempo si hace falta consultarlo mas adelante lo puedo acceder facilmente con virtualizarlo, un ejemplo es de un empleado que deja el puesto, hago la imagen operativa y lo guardo, y traigo una imagen limpia para el nuevo empleado que va ha usar el equipo, pero si alguno de los del equipo del area necesita consultar algo lo tengo disponible para consultar o sacar los datos que necesiten.

Abrazos y desde ya muchas gracias.

Ruben Arno
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Re: How do I get an image to a Virtual PC / Como llego de una imagen a una PC Virtual

Post by BillG »

No, that is not how you use virtual PCs. The virtual machine has its own virtual hardware which is not the same as the hardware in the host machine. (The host machine is the physical machine used to run the virtual machine). Your ghost image will only run on the physical machine is was created for or an identical physical machine.

There are ways to convert a hard disk image to a virtual hard disk image but it is not simple are not always reliable. I don't think it would solve your problem.
Bill
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: How do I get an image to a Virtual PC / Como llego de una imagen a una PC Virtual

Post by socratis »

Take a look at Microsoft's tool Disk2VHD. It creates a VHD file from a hard disk. You can use this VHD file afterwards and build a VM around it, that matches as close as possible the original machine. Ideally you should convert the VHD file to a VDI file which is native to VirtualBox. So in summary:
  • Use Disk2VHD to create a VHD file from your actual computer.
  • Convert the VHD file to VDI. See Chapter 8.24. VBoxManage clonemedium, or you can do it from the VirtualBox Media Manager.
  • Build a VM that resembles as close as possible the original VM. One of the most important things is the hard drive controller (SCSI, IDE, SATA). The rest of the hardware (graphics, network, sound) is more flexible.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.