pxe boot via TFTP internal server

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
peterhull90

pxe boot via TFTP internal server

Post by peterhull90 »

Can anyone point me to more information on using the internal TFTP server to do a pxe boot? The manual is rather terse on that subject (https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch06.html#nat-tftp)

My VM is called netboteur so I have set up a TFTP directory in the same directory as netboteur.xml.In that directory I have put netboteur.pxe.

When iPXE boots up it looks good, then fails with a permission denied error (see screenshot). I've set up permissions on netboteur.pxe and the TFTP directory to be readable by all. Using the iPXE command line I can fetch the iPXE 'demo' file from across the internet (http://boot.ipxe.org/demo/boot.php) so I believe that side of things is OK.

Am I missing something?

I am using Windows 10 64-bit and VirtualBox Version 5.1.4 r110228 (Qt5.5.1). My VM is set up with a single PCnet-Fast III adapter attached to NAT.
Attachments
screenshot
screenshot
VirtualBox_netboteur_02_09_2016_14_34_10.png (8.15 KiB) Viewed 7492 times
TedW

Re: pxe boot via TFTP internal server

Post by TedW »

I am using VirtualBox 5.1.16 on RHEL 6 with a Win7 guest. It worked well before. But suddenly I got the exactly same problem, any ideas?

Thanks,

Ted
TedW

Post by TedW »

I created a new VM and attached the existing .vdi file. It works again.

I am not sure what was going on, but hope it will help people who have the same problems.
burmsitrovj

Post by burmsitrovj »

I got similar problem and solved it like this.

in your root TFTP folder where pxelinux.cfg folder is, you need to create a symlink for your virtual box machine that will be checked when booted, in my case i made a symlink from "./TFTP/pxelinux.cfg/default" file to "./TFTP/MyVirtualBoxMachineName.pxe", keep in mind that ",pxe" extension for symlink is crucial. Also you might want to check your ownership of files like chmod 775 in "./TFTP" and "./TFTP/pxelinux.cfg"

Hope this helps someone. :wink:
peterhull90

Post by peterhull90 »

Wow. I have no idea now what I was even trying to do back in 2016! Anyway thanks for the tip, I am sure it will be helpful as the VB manual still does not have much info on the subject.