Server Configuration

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
lipesmile

Server Configuration

Post by lipesmile »

Hello Everyone,

I'm thiking to use a Dell PowerEdge T110 II Server(debian), to make 2 vms, one to PfSense and another to FreeNAS to run on VirtualBox.

Processor: Intel® Xeon® E3-1220v2 3.10 GHz, 8M Cache, Turbo, Quad Core/4T (69W)

I guess 16Gb RAM is enough
8Gb - PfSense
4Gb - FreeNAS
4Gb - Debian

And RAID 1 - 2x500Gb HD

This configuration will run fine ?

PS: Sorry if I post in wrong area
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: Server Configuration

Post by Perryg »

Only way to tell is to try it and see. I can say that the 8Gb for pFsense seems high to me. I usually run it with 1GB, but that would not stop it from working. Make sure the host has more free memory that the total amount you need, so the host is not over burdened.
lipesmile

Post by lipesmile »

Thank you, one more question, for this aplication (firewall and NAS) I need more than one network card ?
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

Really depends on how you want this to work. If you want pFsense to control the data to and from the guest then yes you would need two adapters. One for WAN and one for LAN.
lipesmile

Post by lipesmile »

In this case I have two WAN links, so I will need 3 cards one for each and another to LAN ?
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

Impossible to tell with no real information on how and what you really want. I can not guess and have other things to do, so unless you want to lay out exactly what you are trying and include detailed requirements I will continue my other duties.
lipesmile

Post by lipesmile »

The scenario is I have two links of internet and I need to install two servers, pfSense and FreeNAS, for reduce cost I'm thinking in this Dell server, they have just a few computers(less than 5), I want to use pfSense as a load balance too, because this little office doesn't have someone who knows how to configure the pfSense.
They have some problems with file server too, they have a server which is one client machine, but is the aplication server, file server and workstation. With this server I suppose to resolve this problem, because I'm bringing the file server to VM of FreeNAS and I have some hardware capacity to create a Windows VM for aplication server if they want, or I just use the VM server for firewall and NAS.
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

And exactly what in that scenario has anything to do with VirtualBox? It looks like a fairly normal networking problem.

When you work out the networking scheme you need, come back with any problems you have implementing that scheme with virtual machines. It is really not much different from doing it with physical ones.
Bill