Discuss the 5.1.4 release

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
frank
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: Debian Sid
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows

Discuss the 5.1.4 release

Post by frank »

Discuss the 5.1.4 release here.
You can download the release here.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Discuss the 5.1.4 release

Post by socratis »

#15659: PCM missing warning on all VMs, independent of sound controller.
#15660: SB16 audio selection crashes VMs.

They both seem to be resolved in this update, but were not mentioned in the release notes. Thanks!
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Anunes

Post by Anunes »

I had a problem with release 110028 crashing in W10 AU Host, I have reported this.
Is this solved in 110228 release?
Please tell me , I want to avoid any VBox version until this is solved.
There some issues with W10 AU regarding File System , I have been also affect by it, and until it is fixed I want to avoid any further issues.
Thank you.
loukingjr
Volunteer
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Post by loukingjr »

Audio is back with VB 5.1.4 on OSX hosts. The only issue is now I can't tell people there is no audio because my VMs are faster than the speed of sound.

Bidirectional Drag & Drop still not working from host to Ubuntu guests with 3D enabled. Works fine from guest to host.
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
Vmboxuser

Post by Vmboxuser »

The same problem as with 5.1.2
Failed to acquire the VirtualBox COM object.

The application will now terminate.

Callee RC: E_NOINTERFACE (0x80004002)
On my system only version 4.1.28 works... 5.x, 4.3, 4.2 are not working :shock:

Win 7 SP1 x86
Matipare

5.1.4 troubles

Post by Matipare »

Just installed 5.1.4 vbox and guest addictions on ubuntu mate guest.

No more sound on video from internet, and very often is not possible to open video itself...

Someone has some info?

bye.
loukingjr
Volunteer
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Re: 5.1.4 troubles

Post by loukingjr »

Matipare wrote:Just installed 5.1.4 vbox and guest addictions on ubuntu mate guest.

No more sound on video from internet, and very often is not possible to open video itself...

Someone has some info?

bye.
What is your host? On a Mac host I had to change the audio controller to Intel HD Audio.
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
The Raven

Post by The Raven »

I think there has been a regression with USB 3.0 support between VB 5.1.2 and 5.1.4
for Windows guests.

I have a Windows 7 Professional Guest which has access to four external USB drives,
for incremental and differential backups of the windows user data.
Two of these drives are physically attached to host (real) 3.0 ports.
The other two are physically attached to host (real) 2.0 ports.

With VB 5.1.2, I had the VM guest USB controller set to 3.0 and filters for all four drives.
Whenever a backup was required, the drives were powered on, were immediately
attached to the guest by VB, automounted by Windows and I was able to run the backups.

Yesterday I upgraded to VB 5.1.4, upgraded the Extension Pack and installed the 5.1.4
Guest Additions. Now when I try and use those drives none are picked up properly.
The two that are physically attached to real USB 3.0 ports are not seen by the Windows
Guest at all. The two that are physically attached to the USB 2.0 port are recognized
by Windows and allocated the correct drive letter but the drive cannot be used and
Windows explorer does not show the drive format of NTFS nor the space/free space details.

If I try and shutdown the Windows Guest with the drives still "attached", the Windows shutdown
hangs until I power off the drives. Then Windows proceeds to shutdown properly.

As soon as I changed the USB controller setting in the VM guest recipe to 2.0 everything
started working properly.

Looking at the change log for 5.1.4, I see that there was a work around for the linux boot
hang which affected USB 3.0 support. I was wondering if that work around has introduced
a problem with USB 3.0 for Windows guests ?

For reference, my Host is running Debian "stable" but with the 4.6.4 kernel from backports.
vboxpya

Post by vboxpya »

Probably similar issue - installed 5.1.4, and html5 / youtube and similar browser video (and sound) fails to play.
Either "instantly" (does not play at all, or after up to 4 seconds (so-oder-so :) ) of video played at not always normal / expected speed.

vbox guests seems to - otherwise - function ok

Reverted to 5.1.2, and video+audio plays "as usual" (i.e. plays ok, linked to net capability of course)

Host: Ubuntu 14.04 amd64, guest(s) : ubuntu / lubuntu 32 bit
Audio for guests: pulseaudio ich ac97 (probably default, have not changed)
Display: anything from 12MB through 64MB display in vbox set up

Any inputs on what could shed light on issue ?

thx & regards
michaln
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Any and all

Post by michaln »

The Raven wrote:I have a Windows 7 Professional Guest which has access to four external USB drives,
for incremental and differential backups of the windows user data.
Two of these drives are physically attached to host (real) 3.0 ports.
The other two are physically attached to host (real) 2.0 ports.
What USB3 drivers do you have in the guest? There's a huge difference between Windows 7 and Windows 8+ guests with regard to USB 3.0 support.
As soon as I changed the USB controller setting in the VM guest recipe to 2.0 everything
started working properly.
That's not possible because then the USB3 drives wouldn't work at all.
Looking at the change log for 5.1.4, I see that there was a work around for the linux boot
hang which affected USB 3.0 support. I was wondering if that work around has introduced
a problem with USB 3.0 for Windows guests ?
It is not impossible, but please say "Windows 7 guests" instead of "Windows guests" unless you have some evidence that Windows 8+ is affected as well.

It would be really useful if you provided a VBox.log, and probably started a new thread. So far you're the only one complaining I believe, but I don't think Windows 7 guest + USB 3.0 is all that common.
The Raven

Post by The Raven »

Michaln,
Thank you for your reply.

The USB 3.0 drivers are the standard USB 3.0 Intel drivers.

As stated in my original post, as soon as I changed the USB controller
setting back to 2.0, the external drives and the backup procedure
worked as it did when running VB 5.1.2.
The external drives are Buffalo Drive Station and Mini Station drives,
using a USB <-> SATA bridge within the enclosure. They are actually
USB 2.0 speed drives but were working perfectly with a virtual USB 3.0
controller in VB 5.1.2 - as were other USB peripherals such as my printer
and flatbed scanner.

I apologise for not stated specifically Windows 7 in the concluding paragraph.

I shall try and gather some further diagnostics and perhaps open a new
thread.
michaln
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Any and all

Post by michaln »

The Raven wrote:The USB 3.0 drivers are the standard USB 3.0 Intel drivers.
OK, good to know (because with some tweaking it's also possible to install NEC/Renesas drivers).
They are actually USB 2.0 speed drives but were working perfectly with a virtual USB 3.0 controller in VB 5.1.2 - as were other USB peripherals such as my printer and flatbed scanner.
Ah, now I understand. These were plugged into 'blue' ports on the host but are really USB 2.0 devices. That is what matters.
I shall try and gather some further diagnostics and perhaps open a new thread.
Actually I think we reproduced the problem so don't bother with the logs just yet.
The Raven

Post by The Raven »

Michaln,
It will obviously be easier for you to diagnose the exact nature of the problem
if you can reproduce it in-house.

Thank you for your assistance.
rowland

Post by rowland »

I had a problem with snapshots in 5.1.4 that was not present in 5.1.2. I'm running VirtualBox 5.1.4 on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS. I have one VM that has 5 disks. If I try to remove a snapshot on that VM, the UI gets stuck saying it's deleting the snapshot, but it never finishes. If I close and restart VirtualBox, it claims a disk is missing. The snapshot was removed for the first disk, but not the other 4. The VM appears to still have the snapshot, but it can't be removed. I see the following in dmesg output on my system:

Code: Select all

Aug 19 16:56:10 ubuntu-oryx kernel: [14500.247312] DeleteSnap[21019]: segfault a
t 31 ip 000000000053574c sp 00007f00ce01d950 error 4 in VBoxSVC[400000+49c000]
I completely removed and reinstalled VirtualBox 5.1.4, but that didn't solve the problem. I got the VM back by manually editing its configuration file, then adding the virtual disks back. The only way I could get snapshots working for this VM was to downgrade to VirtualBox 5.1.2. That version has no problem with snapshots on this VM. I can reproduce this in VirtualBox 5.1.4 by just taking a snapshot and then deleting that same snapshot (the only snapshot) immediately.

The 5.1.4 version didn't have this problem with another VM that only has one virtual disk however. VirtualBox 5.1.2 works all the time.
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

@rowland
Is that you? https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/15831
If not, something is really not right...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.