How To Install a Program on VirtualBox

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
BobV365

How To Install a Program on VirtualBox

Post by BobV365 »

I have installed VirtualBox on my Windows 10 PC. And I installed Windows 10 on the virtual box. Now, I want to install a few small programs to test them out, but I can't figure out how to get them from my main PC to the VirtualBox. How is this done?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: How To Install a Program on VirtualBox

Post by socratis »

There are several ways to do this. From easiest to more difficult:
  1. ISO or CD: If the installer comes as an ISO file or as a physical CD, you can go to the VM Settings, Storage, click on the CD icon on the left so select it, click on the CD icon on the right for the drop down menu, choose the ISO file or the host CD/DVD. More information: 1.8.1. Starting a new VM for the first time.
  2. Shared folders: You choose a folder on your host (typically Downloads or Documents) and you share it with your guest. It appears as a networked drive on your guest. More information: Chapter 4.3. Shared folders.
  3. True network shares: The same way as you would if you had two physical computers. You create (usually) an SMB share and you can move files back and forth between guest and host.
  4. Media sharing: You share external media, like a USB stick or an external hard drive and you access it either form the host or the guest.
For more information, please refer to the User Manual, http://www.virtualbox.org/manual/.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: How To Install a Program on VirtualBox

Post by mpack »

There is another alternative since v5, which is to enable bidirectional drag and drop, and drag the installer exe onto the guest desktop. If you use shared folders then I do recommend that you copy the installer onto a local (virtual) drive inside the VM before running it, as installing from a GA shared folder can sometimes fail.