Alt+tab with "Auto-Capture Keyboard" turned off

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
chronzerg

Alt+tab with "Auto-Capture Keyboard" turned off

Post by chronzerg »

I have a question about using Alt+Tab to switch from my vbox guest to another application running on my host. I'm running Window 7 as my host OS. I have unchecked the "Auto-Capture Keyboard" option. With focus on my vbox guest, when I press alt+tab my vbox guest looses focus, but another application isn't brought to focus. Essentially, no applications are focused at this point. If I press alt+tab again, then another application is brought to focus. Has anyone else experienced this behavior? Does anyone have a way to stop me from having to press the extra alt+tab to change applications?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Alt+tab with "Auto-Capture Keyboard" turned off

Post by socratis »

chronzerg wrote:With focus on my vbox guest, when I press alt+tab my vbox guest looses focus, but another application isn't brought to focus. Essentially, no applications are focused at this point.
Hmm, that can't really happen. Someone has to have the focus. BTW, you don't mention your guest, so I can't really tell how it is expected to behave.
chronzerg wrote:If I press alt+tab again, then another application is brought to focus.
Please use specific names. Another one doesn't quite describe the problem accurately.
chronzerg wrote:I have unchecked the "Auto-Capture Keyboard" option.
In that case it's up to your guest to figure out things. The keyboard is captured until you un-capture it, by pressing the <Host> key.

BTW, your <Host> key is not set to "Alt", is it? Because that could explain the behavior (I think). First Alt-Tab releases the keyboard from the guest and the second captures it? I won't know until you tell me what your guest is and what your <Host> key is.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
chronzerg

Re: Alt+tab with "Auto-Capture Keyboard" turned off

Post by chronzerg »

socratis wrote: Hmm, that can't really happen. Someone has to have the focus. BTW, you don't mention your guest, so I can't really tell how it is expected to behave.

Please use specific names. Another one doesn't quite describe the problem accurately.
Host: Win7
Guest: CentOS 7

When I press alt+tab I get a very strange UI changes in the taskbar and the vbox application window. The first alt+tab causes the vbox window's topbar to became less opaque (usually a sign of focus loss in the aero theme) and yet the vbox icon in the taskbar continues to be highlighted (suggesting it still has focus). Keyboard commands seem to not be captured by any of my host applications in this state.

Pressing alt+tab again causes another host application to finally gain focus.