Cut and Paste from Host to Guest?

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
Rayj2016

Cut and Paste from Host to Guest?

Post by Rayj2016 »

I have a Win 7 host and Win 10 guest. How do you paste from Host clipboard to Guest?
On the Guest, I have the Guest additions installed and I've tried all of the settings for Shared Clipboard and Drag and Drop.

Nothing seem to work!

Thanks,

Ray
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Cut and Paste from Host to Guest?

Post by socratis »

Remember that the only things you can paste is simple text and simple image formats, nothing like files or complicated clipboard data. As for the settings, it's best if you keep it in Bi-directional. If that doesn't change the situation, please read the following: Minimum information needed for assistance.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Rayj2016

Post by Rayj2016 »

Yes, that is all I am trying to past....simple text as in a URL...or just a text paragraph.
Rayj2016

Post by Rayj2016 »

Here is the Vboxmanage output....attached.
Attachments
VBoxManage.txt
(3.96 KiB) Downloaded 37 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

OK, now could you please post the VBox.log?
  1. Start the VM. Not from a saved or suspended state. Clean start.
  2. Take the steps required to generate/observe the problem.
  3. Shut down the VM. Not suspended, not paused. Shut down.
  4. Right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager. Select "Show Log..."
  5. Save it (just the first log), ZIP it and attach it in your response (see the "Upload attachment" at the bottom of the form).
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Rayj2016

Post by Rayj2016 »

Well...I don't know why but it seems to be working now. I started by trying to cut a URL from the host and past it into the guest Firefox address bar. It worked.
Then I cut some text from the host and pasted it into a Guest text (Notebook) document. Worked!

I have the settings at whoa....although it appears to be working, the Guest Vbox menu is gone? So I cannot look or change the Device setting?
How can I recover the menu bar? This is on the Guest Window.

Thanks,

Ray
Rayj2016

Post by Rayj2016 »

Interesting that I have a Win 7 Guest that does have the Vbox menu items at the top of the window?