Discuss the 5.1.2 release

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
frank
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: Debian Sid
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows

Discuss the 5.1.2 release

Post by frank »

Discuss the 5.1.2 release here.
You can download the release here.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Discuss the 5.1.2 release

Post by socratis »

Audio gone in two of the tested guest, Mint 17 64-bit and Ubuntu 12.04 32-bit. There is a warning coming up:
The virtual machine execution may run into an error condition as described below. We suggest that you take an appropriate action to avert the error.

Details
Some AC'97 audio streams (PCM Output) could not be opened. Guest applications generating audio output or depending on audio input may hang. Make sure your host audio device is working properly. Check the logfile for error messages of the audio subsystem.

Error ID: HostAudioNotResponding
Severity: Warning
Further testing shows that the bug occured between builds 108857 and 108931. Will do more investigation and open a new bug report.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

socratis wrote: Further testing shows that the bug occured between builds 108857 and 108931. Will do more investigation and open a new bug report.
Ticket #15659.
 Edit: Most probably the same cause, way worse effects (VM aborts at startup): Ticket #15660
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
ssawgift

Post by ssawgift »

socratis wrote:
socratis wrote: Further testing shows that the bug occured between builds 108857 and 108931. Will do more investigation and open a new bug report.
Ticket #15659.
 Edit: Most probably the same cause, way worse effects (VM aborts at startup): Ticket #15660
Same here on macOS host.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

@ssawgift
Thanks for the confirmation. Could you post your relevant info to the bug reports? Please be more specific about your host and your guest versions and include a ZIPPED VBox.log after a complete guest session (full startup, full shutdown cycle).

PS. Funny thing is that I was using 108931 (dev. release, the 1st buggy one) for five hours yesterday. I should have noticed somehow, but I didn't. Beats me...

PPS. "macOS host"? Do you mean that you're in 10.12b?
Clay123
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows 10 Pro 32-bit

Post by Clay123 »

Also on my Mac. I reverted back to VirtualBox version 5.0.26 r108824 before thinking to save the log. This is just a confirmation that the problem exists on my specific setup:
Host: MacBook Pro, Retina 2015, running OS 10.11.6 (El Capitán)
Guest: Windows 10 Pro 32-bit. Guest memory is 9009 MB out of 16,384 MB

5.0.26 operates flawlessly as it did originally.

I'm fairly certain that 5.1.0 also functioned Thursday (21 July 2016) morning but I wasn't able to reinstall the accompanying Extension Pack so couldn't run 5.1.0.
Clayton
robatino

Post by robatino »

Can't install guest additions in a Fedora Rawhide guest with either 5.1.0 or 5.1.2, after having successfully installed guest additions when using 5.1.0 for the first time. Apparently they can only be successfully installed once. I noticed after updating to 5.1.2, then found the problem persists even after downgrading to 5.1.0. I get output

Code: Select all

Verifying archive integrity... All good.
Uncompressing VirtualBox 5.1.0 Guest Additions for Linux...........
VirtualBox Guest Additions installer
Removing installed version 5.1.0 of VirtualBox Guest Additions...
then it appears to hang. What's actually happening is that it's running dracut repeatedly and creating initramfs files in /boot for kernel versions I don't even have installed. There appears to be no way to kill it and I have to shut down instead. The "uninstall" option for VBoxLinuxAdditions.run doesn't appear to work.
michael
Oracle Corporation

Post by michael »

robatino wrote:Can't install guest additions in a Fedora Rawhide guest with either 5.1.0 or 5.1.2, after having successfully installed guest additions when using 5.1.0 for the first time. Apparently they can only be successfully installed once. I noticed after updating to 5.1.2, then found the problem persists even after downgrading to 5.1.0. I get output

Code: Select all

Verifying archive integrity... All good.
Uncompressing VirtualBox 5.1.0 Guest Additions for Linux...........
VirtualBox Guest Additions installer
Removing installed version 5.1.0 of VirtualBox Guest Additions...
then it appears to hang. What's actually happening is that it's running dracut repeatedly and creating initramfs files in /boot for kernel versions I don't even have installed. There appears to be no way to kill it and I have to shut down instead. The "uninstall" option for VBoxLinuxAdditions.run doesn't appear to work.
This might be the same issue as topic 78798<1>. Could you see if you can investigate it the same way? Thanks!

<1> viewtopic.php?f=3&t=78798
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

This is NOT a "bug report", per se, more like a general observation...

5.1.2 seems more ... unstable. I've had several "Aborted" VMs, for a variety of guests, for what seems to be no apparent reason. I have not been able to nail down a repeatable scenario, I have not been able to see anything unusual in the logs, but I have the impression that I'm getting a lot of these Aborted VMs, whereas before, there would be one once every blue moon. I have a feeling that it has to do with the sound-related crashes, but I have no proof.

Just something to keep in mind, in case that someone bumps into this.
oldium

Post by oldium »

robatino wrote:then it appears to hang. What's actually happening is that it's running dracut repeatedly and creating initramfs files in /boot for kernel versions I don't even have installed. There appears to be no way to kill it and I have to shut down instead.
That is true, I just waited long enough and it finished. Dracut is very slow for some reason.
robatino

Post by robatino »

oldium wrote:
robatino wrote:then it appears to hang. What's actually happening is that it's running dracut repeatedly and creating initramfs files in /boot for kernel versions I don't even have installed. There appears to be no way to kill it and I have to shut down instead.
That is true, I just waited long enough and it finished. Dracut is very slow for some reason.
But like I said, it's creating initramfs files for kernels that aren't even installed. I don't think it's supposed to create any initramfs files - the ones for the installed kernels were already there. I elaborated in viewtopic.php?f=3&t=78798&p=367487#p367487 . I believe the files it's creating correspond to kernels that were once installed. There must be empty dirs somewhere with those version numbers, but I have no idea how it's generating initramfs files using nothing but file names for former kernels.
Papolytic

Post by Papolytic »

Since I don't see a difference regarding the problem that happens on any Ubuntu 16.04 reboot, I'm going to just point to my entry in the "Discuss the 5.1 Release" thread and afterward, I'll leave a log file (it'll take me about 10 minutes to duplicate on 5.1.2 at the end.

Link to 5.1 post where the linux problem is the same. Windows 10 works fine but the thing with that is that I only take brief looks and do updates on W10, whereas I do development on the Ubuntu 16.04 VM in Linux.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=78612&start=30#p367161

Update: After reinstalling the guest tools and also installing all current Ubuntu 16.04 updates including a lot of X11 packages, I'm not seeing the "reboot" problem, so I guess that was on me.

W10 seems to work fine including through a 'fast-ring' complete update to the latest build.

Ubuntu 16.04 works well enough to develop on, so here are the things I notice that don't work or are possibly not meant to work? I'm not sure but they all worked on 5.0.14:

1) Glxinfo | head // direct rendering is on, and there are no errors in the glxinfo output. This is actually a first. There used to be a long list of errors, but it did work.
2) Some apps that want to use OpenGL work, others don't. Before, if the glxinfo output was OK, the apps all worked that used it. Now the following list don't work without workarounds:

a) cairo-dock (have to start it using the '-c' (cairo backend) or it creates large black spots and hangs on the screen)
b) chromium-browser :: If you don't start it with this flag --disable-glx , it doesn't work. It is slower and a bit less functional, showing errors in icons without OpenGL.
c) It seems like the compiz-decorator doesn't work, or even appear with this iteration of vbox. If I use a gnome session and then use cairo-dock on top of it, it works.

Mostly my problems are just OpenGL ones which isn't a show-stopper for me, but it's kind of nice when it all works. Thanks,

--
Anunes

Post by Anunes »

Hi,
Host: Win 8.1

- On the Guest, USB Devices are identified as "unkown Devices" and can not be Selected; on VB Manager they are correct.
- The "Remote Display" setting was beeing turn on itself for every Guest. It has been always turned off in the previous VB Versions.
- After closing all guest and VB , during the uninstall of VB there is a pop-up Window saying that there are Still 2 parts of VBox opened; Seems VB is not closing totally.
- After install 5.1.2 I started a Guest , installed new Guest Aditions and Closed Guest. Next day, VB messed the Settings of that guest, could not find the Guest Settings, at least the Drive letter / Path to VM was wrong. I had to delete the VM and build it again. After re-starting this Guest the Automatically CheckDisk was starting. That is very strange, I did not do anything that could have caused any of this.

EDIT: I have a 2nd VM with its settings corrupted, the Path´s for the VM are pointing to wrong places. I have 7 VM´s and only 2 of them, which I used latly, the settings got correupted.
Last edited by Anunes on 27. Jul 2016, 13:11, edited 1 time in total.
ptnull

Post by ptnull »

When trying to run version 5.1.2 I always get the error

"Failed to acquire the VirtualBox COM object."

Callee RC:
E_NOINTERFACE (0x80004002)

I never had this error before on previous versions, not sure if was after a windows update or anything strange on this version.

Already removed everything related to vbox on user folder.

I am running windows 7 enterprise 64 bits.

If I change to compatibility mode to vista i get a simillar error when running a virtual machine:

Failed to acquire the VirtualBox COM object.
The application will now terminate.
Callee RC: E_INVALIDARG (0x80070057)
TomL12953
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Commodore OS, Win 8

No Video With Ubuntu 16.04.1

Post by TomL12953 »

As the title says, I have VB 5.1.2 and am trying to run Ubuntu 16.04.1 (64-bit) with VB additions on a Win 10 host. I get the initial grub messages but when it's time to switch into graphical mode to display the logon screen, the display is black. It responds to an ACPI shutdown so I know the machine itself is still running. I turned off 3d acceleration and it works now so the problem is in there somewhere.
Last edited by TomL12953 on 25. Jul 2016, 21:01, edited 2 times in total.