Discuss the 5.1.2 release

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
michaln
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Any and all

Re: Discuss the 5.1.2 release

Post by michaln »

ptnull wrote:If I change to compatibility mode to vista i get a simillar error when running a virtual machine:
Never ever do that with VirtualBox. It will only make things worse. VirtualBox either supports your Windows version and needs no compatibility settings or it doesn't and no amount of compatibility tweaks will fix it.
Papolytic

Post by Papolytic »

Host : 64 bit Win 7 sp1 pro:

Guests : W10 latest build fast ring, OK.
and Ubuntu 16.04 64 all updates and guest tools, has some problems of 2 types so far:

problem 1 : 16.04 guest : I've mentioned it before and thought it was something I'd done but I reinstalled vbox and my guest and it occurs on a "clean" setup. The problem is that only the first boot is "clean" and works. Any reboot, or close and open while not killing the host results in a hang on 2nd boot. It also leaves a vboxsvr and virtualbox process running in windows even when all vbox windows are closed. The main thing is that it can't be rebooted. I'll post the log which has a 'last gasp' in it near the end.

problem 2: Quite a few OpenGL apps (chrome, Compiz-config, Cairo, nearly anything that used to work in the 5.0- series) display either black boxes and are inactive or require running by bypassing OpenGL. Glxinfo | head shows the right looking stuff, DR is on, no errors, but the new way isn't quite there yet. It doesn't matter which version of Ubuntu I use, the result is the same back to 12.04.

OK: Here's some info I tried to gather:
Attachments
U16.04-64-guest--2016-07-25-08-42-39.log
This shows the last gasp of one of my "reboots". It does the same on shutdown while leaving host running and 'boot' the 2nd + time.
(97.85 KiB) Downloaded 26 times
michael
Oracle Corporation

Post by michael »

Papolytic wrote:Host : 64 bit Win 7 sp1 pro:
problem 2: Quite a few OpenGL apps (chrome, Compiz-config, Cairo, nearly anything that used to work in the 5.0- series) display either black boxes and are inactive or require running by bypassing OpenGL. Glxinfo | head shows the right looking stuff, DR is on, no errors, but the new way isn't quite there yet. It doesn't matter which version of Ubuntu I use, the result is the same back to 12.04.
Probably not what you would like to hear, but see ticket 15417<1>. It is a problem with Chrome which affects anything else running while Chrome is and appeared with the 5.0.18 Additions because previously Chrome failed altogether to use 3D. Now Chrome is able to use it which nicely brings out this bug. Unfortunately it is not likely to get addressed by the development team due to a lack of resources<2>.

<1> https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/15417
<2> https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/X11Guest3D
Papolytic

Post by Papolytic »

michael wrote:
Papolytic wrote:Host : 64 bit Win 7 sp1 pro:
Probably not what you would like to hear, but see ticket 15417<1>. It is a problem with Chrome which affects anything else running while Chrome is and appeared with the 5.0.18 Additions because previously Chrome failed altogether to use 3D. Now Chrome is able to use it which nicely brings out this bug. Unfortunately it is not likely to get addressed by the development team due to a lack of resources<2>.

<1> https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/15417
<2> https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/X11Guest3D
Thanks, Michael.

At least that explains one of them. I think I may have run into it around .18 but had forgotten.

My other issue is more interesting for me (the 2nd boot scenario where it repeatedly hangs unless I manually kill all processes related to vbox. The supplied log ^^ should be useful for that.

Cheers.
michael
Oracle Corporation

Post by michael »

I wonder whether revision 109119 of the Additions (test build<1> will be available in the next half hour or so) will fix the hangs.

<1> https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Testbuilds
Papolytic

Post by Papolytic »

michael wrote:I wonder whether revision 109119 of the Additions (test build<1> will be available in the next half hour or so) will fix the hangs.

<1> https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Testbuilds
I tried that, as well as the entire 5.1.3 testbuild with 109119 GA's. It's not identical behavior but it's almost the same. I'll include a log where it freezes :: Thanks for the tip, anyway:

Well, the file exceeds the size, but it looks like the last one I uploaded where it counts.
michael
Oracle Corporation

Post by michael »

Papolytic wrote:
michael wrote:I wonder whether revision 109119 of the Additions (test build<1> will be available in the next half hour or so) will fix the hangs[...]
I tried that, as well as the entire 5.1.3 testbuild with 109119 GA's. It's not identical behavior but it's almost the same. I'll include a log where it freezes :: Thanks for the tip, anyway[...]
Well, as it happens I have just run into these hangs myself while investigating something else. I think I can see what is causing them and can hopefully provide you a test build soon, possibly even today.
michael
Oracle Corporation

Post by michael »

michael wrote:
Papolytic wrote:
michael wrote:I wonder whether revision 109119 of the Additions (test build<1> will be available in the next half hour or so) will fix the hangs[...]
Revision 109126 is now on-line.
Papolytic

Post by Papolytic »

snap of task manager after sessions w10 &amp; U
snap of task manager after sessions w10 & U
vbox-procs.snip.jpg (98.99 KiB) Viewed 4923 times
Michael,

Thanks. The 109126 GTs seem to have helped. I do notice a few things and will include a log (maybe chop off the top of it because of file upload restrictions):

Noticed:

1) I opened task manager afterward (win 7) and immediately after running & rebooting once each guests w10 and ubuntu 16.04, there were 6 instances of vbox*.exe running and also the service.
a) After 5 minutes these faded out so I'll include a screenshot of the task box as well. I don't recall anything running in the vbox realm after any of the 5.0.x releases or know if it's OK that they run.

2) Compiz seems to be unable to run using any decorator other than Gnome's. It used to run fine using it's own decorator. I have no idea if that's in your world of interest, but it can keep quite a few different types of sessions from working correctly if you're not using a gnome backend. It could well be functional changes to something that happened from 12.04 -> 16.04 U.

The included log files are the middle-ends of each log one for ubuntu and one for w10 labeled in their titles (If I can make them fit). They might not be of interest since I can now reboot after the first session without manually killing all instances of *vbox* in task manager.

Thanks.

Most_recent_edit: I updated to the latest testbuild (July 29) (all components are updated, and guest tools end in *168). It seems to work fine for my guests on Win 7 64 sp1.
Attachments
vbox513-WinTen-2016-07-26-07-46-48.txt
after w10 reboot
(108.25 KiB) Downloaded 23 times
vbox5.1.3-U16.04.1-2016-07-26-05-42-42.txt
After ubuntu reboot
(82.03 KiB) Downloaded 27 times
Last edited by Papolytic on 29. Jul 2016, 17:01, edited 1 time in total.
michael
Oracle Corporation

Post by michael »

Papolytic wrote:2) Compiz seems to be unable to run using any decorator other than Gnome's. It used to run fine using it's own decorator. I have no idea if that's in your world of interest, but it can keep quite a few different types of sessions from working correctly if you're not using a gnome backend. It could well be functional changes to something that happened from 12.04 -> 16.04 U.
Ubuntu 16.04 works fine here, downloading a 16.04.1 ISO now. If you can quickly summarise your settings I will not have to scour the log file for them... Another small fix in the latest test build.
Papolytic

Post by Papolytic »

michael wrote:
Papolytic wrote:2) Compiz seems to be unable to run using any decorator other than Gnome's. It used to run fine using it's own decorator. I have no idea if that's in your world of interest, but it can keep quite a few different types of sessions from working correctly if you're not using a gnome backend. It could well be functional changes to something that happened from 12.04 -> 16.04 U.
Ubuntu 16.04 works fine here, downloading a 16.04.1 ISO now. If you can quickly summarise your settings I will not have to scour the log file for them... Another small fix in the latest test build.
I've got to take off for awhile. I'll guess that you meant my settings in vbox but just have time to put an image attachment of the settings screen up. Let me know if you meant my setting inside 16.04 the guest as I can dump my $HOME/.config/* folders::

Thanks.

EDIT!
I just installed the latest build (109137, I think) of guest tools, and no longer have the hanging processes between boots of guests. Reboot problems appear to be gone.

Most_recent_edit: I updated to the latest testbuild (July 29) (all components are updated, and guest tools end in *168). It seems to work fine for my guests on Win 7 64 sp1.
Attachments
screenie of vbox settings (well, as many as it shows this way).
screenie of vbox settings (well, as many as it shows this way).
16.04.jpg (90.18 KiB) Viewed 4914 times
Last edited by Papolytic on 29. Jul 2016, 17:02, edited 1 time in total.
Leolo
Primary OS: MS Windows 2008
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 7

Post by Leolo »

Why has the CPU usage jumped so much with this release?

I used to be able to get only 50% CPU utilization on the host, but now it's much higher.

Take a look at this screenshot. CPU usage is 70%:

http://www.leolo.es/virtualbox.png

even though I've restricted it to 40%:

http://www.leolo.es/Virtualbox2.png
Anunes

Post by Anunes »

w10_red_memory adress fehler.jpg
w10_red_memory adress fehler.jpg (34.42 KiB) Viewed 4712 times
Host: Win 10 v 1607
VBox: 5.1.3 -109643
oldium

Post by oldium »

Leolo wrote:Why has the CPU usage jumped so much with this release?

I used to be able to get only 50% CPU utilization on the host, but now it's much higher.
I tried to use version 5.1.3r109643 and found the same problem - on Win 10 host with 4 logical cores I see constant CPU load from the VirtualBox process (in Task Manager) more than 33%, even when nothing is happening inside Ubuntu 12.02 LTS guest (top shows 99% idle). Log attached.
Attachments
VBox.log
(115.36 KiB) Downloaded 26 times
Papolytic

Post by Papolytic »

Yesterday, I installed from */testBuilds , these :

Build : 109780
Ext Pack : 109790

Host: E6500 laptop 64 bit W10 with Intel 4 cores, a pretty old laptop:

Guests so far:
1) Linux Ubuntu 16.04 64 bit with compiz & gnome-fallback running sessions fine. Effects are enabled, and I've done some compiles and a build of cm13 on it. Guest Tools 109844

Just so it's know that this is possible: With these builds above ^^, and my task manager running resource monitor set to CPU, During any particular action on the guest, I open a terminal and turn on "$top" to get some idea of what linux-based CPU is. E.g. when top shows cpu = 16%, I take a look at resource monitor in windows 10 and see ~17-20%. The only time I saw Resource monitor pinned was during my installation of the guest, but after the first boot, it was OK.

Good luck.

PS: I'm using the same build on a Win 7 64 box and have basically the same result. My only complaint with either is that the "new" method of handling OpenGL doesn't work as well with Mesa / GLX etc. There are a few apps that work, and quite a lot more that just create black boxes when they're run in OGL mode.

Another Note: I did notice that for awhile after starting vBox on w10 pro 64 the first time, that the built in w10 virus checker .exe shows up as using much more than vbox, as much as 60-100%. Eventually (I suppose after it's long scan) it dies down to 1% or so. I'm forgetting the exe name, but something like mp*.exe