installing an os from a usb

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
thanatos7930

installing an os from a usb

Post by thanatos7930 »

hi im want to install an operating system from a usb and im not sure how to do it i know how to boot from a usb using this guide

Press “Win + R”, type diskmgmt.msc and press the Enter button.
Look for your USB drive and remember the Disk number. In my case, the USB drive is listed as “Disk 1,” so the disk number is “1.”
Once you have the disk number, open up the Windows command prompt as administrator.
Navigate to the VirtualBox installation directory using the following command

cd %programfiles%\Oracle\VirtualBox

Enter the following command while replacing “#” with the actual disk number. What this command does is create a VMDK file in your C drive which points to the physical USB drive.

VBoxManage internalcommands createrawvmdk -filename C:\extdisk.vmdk -rawdisk \\.\PhysicalDrive#

Once you have replaced the drive letter, the command should look something like this.

VBoxManage internalcommands createrawvmdk -filename C:\extdisk.vmdk -rawdisk \\.\PhysicalDrive1

Once you execute the command you will get a confirmation message stating the same, and you will see a new file with the name “extdisk.vmdk” in your C drive.
Now open up the VirtualBox with administrative rights. If not, VirtualBox will fail to boot from the USB drive.
Once opened, create a new virtual machine as usual. At the step when it prompts you to add a hard drive, select the radio button “Use an existing virtual hard drive file.” Click on that little folder icon and select the file we just created. Click on the “Create” button to complete the process.
You will see a new virtual machine listed in the left pane of the VirtualBox window. Just select it and click on the “Start” button located in the top menu to boot from the USB drive.

but i dont know how to install it please help
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: installing an os from a usb

Post by socratis »

First things first: booting from USB is not yet supported in VirtualBox.

Second: questions.
• Why do you specifically want to install from USB?
• What's the OS you're trying to install?
• Is there an ISO available perhaps?
• Can you point us to the tutorial? If you cannot post URLs, replace the dots (.) with spaces.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
thanatos7930

Post by thanatos7930 »

question one answer: some files are to big to be put on a cd or dvd
question two answer: windows 10
question three answer: im not sure if i can put windows 10 on an iso i know you can buy a usb stick with windows 10 on it though
question four answer: here the tutorial page i quoted above bit ly/2afYR2I
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

• How did you create the USB?
• Yes, there is a Windows 10 ISO from Microsoft. I don't have the link handy, but a quick search will help you locate it.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
thanatos7930

Post by thanatos7930 »

you can use a usb for a live cd/dvd all you have to do is download the universal usb installer here: pendrivelinux com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/
and say you want to use zorin os you install it on the usb using an iso image with the usb installer and then you follow the guide i linked you to
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

thanatos7930 wrote:say you want to use zorin os you install it on the usb using an iso image with the usb installer and then you follow the guide i linked you to
So let me count the steps:
  1. Download the ISO.
  2. Download the tool.
  3. Use the tool to make a bootable USB.
  4. Follow the guide to make the bootable USB work in VirtualBox.
  5. Run as another user (administrator) who has no access to your VMs.
  6. Install the Zorin OS in a Virtual Machine, using the USB.
What I said is why don't you use the ISO straight. Count the steps:
  1. Download the ISO.
  2. Install the Zorin OS in a Virtual Machine, using the ISO.
To me it looks like the second option is a winner in simplicity, no?
thanatos7930

Post by thanatos7930 »

yes that is easier i was just using that as an example but ok youv made your point
comfortw

Post by comfortw »

thanatos7930 wrote:yes that is easier i was just using that as an example but ok youv made your point
To install a vm (OS on vdi) from a usb.vmdk (iso in bootable usb)

1/ create usb.vmdk by vbox internalcommands
2/ setup of a new VM in vbox
2a/ create a vdi and attached to controller SATA
2b/ attach usb.vmdk to controller IDE
3/ the vbox boot order will select the harddisk(usb.vmdk) in controller IDE(the 1st instance of "Storage Devices")
4/ during installation,
the boot disk will be /dev/sda (usb stick)
the vdi disk to be installed with your OS will be /dev/sdb (check with gparted)
hope this can help.