Why did the version 5.1 bear after the version 5.0.26?

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
formulation

Why did the version 5.1 bear after the version 5.0.26?

Post by formulation »

The official website tell us VirtualBox 5.0.26 was released on July 18,but VirtualBox 5.1 was released on July 12,2016. Why? Normally,the version 5.1 should be released after 5.0
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Why did the version 5.1 bear after the version 5.0.26?

Post by socratis »

Some of the bug fixes for the 5.0.x series are happening in parallel with the 5.1.x series. Sometimes even the 4.3.x series. The schedule of the releases is something that the developers/managers decide. If I were to guess (and that's a big "if"), I would say that they have given priority to releasing the new 5.1.0 version with all its new features, and then they backported the bug fixes to the 5.0.x series. Don't be surprised if you see an update to the 4.3.x series later on.

[Mod edit: Moved to "Using VirtualBox" from "VirtualBox Beta / Release Candidate Feedback"]
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

formulation wrote:Normally,the version 5.1 should be released after 5.0
Only for a small software outfit that only maintains one code branch.
michaln
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Any and all

Post by michaln »

Pretty much. One might as well ask why Microsoft is still updating Windows 7 when Windows 10 is out.