Host only adapter settings with dhcp enabled

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
openregex

Host only adapter settings with dhcp enabled

Post by openregex »

I had to create another host only adapter because of my project.

I changed adapter settings and assigned following settings

Adapter
IPv4 address : 192.168.99.11
Netmask : 255.255.255.0

DHCP
IPv4: 192.168.99.1
NetMask: 255.255.255.0
Lower bound : 192.168.99.10
Upper bound: 192.168.99.254

System is working fine but I am curious about adapter IP and DHCP server IP. Shouldn't they be same?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Host only adapter settings with dhcp enabled

Post by scottgus1 »

They can't be the same. The host's virtual network card created by the host-only network isn't the DHCP server, it's one of the items connected to the Host-Only network's "switch", which also has a DHCP server with its own IP address connected to another "port" on the "Switch".

A typical house router actually has two parts. There's a switch with several LAN ports to connect the PCs, printers, NASs, etc. The switch itself doesn't get an IP address. There's also another part: the modem, gateway, firewall, control computer, DHCP server, etc. all of which gets one IP address. The DHCP server et al is connected to an internal inaccessible port on the switch. Each item connected to the visible LAN ports also gets an IP address.

Same for the Virtualbox host-only network. There's a "switch" in the Host-Only network, connecting a DHCP server (but no gateway) at one IP address, and one virtual network card, the host's virtual adapter, on one LAN port with another IP address. Other guests can also attach to this "switch" by using the Host-Only network's name, and get their individual IP addresses.