What is the EOL date for VirtualBox 4.3?

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
quiettime

What is the EOL date for VirtualBox 4.3?

Post by quiettime »

I'm using VirtualBox 4.3 in a few places and I know it's still supported for security and important fixes, but I need to know what date that will stop. It is usually called the end-of-life (EOL) date. I googled it but I didn't find an answer.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: What is the EOL date for VirtualBox 4.3?

Post by mpack »

My guess is it'll be the day after the paying customers collectively decide that they don't need 4.3.
michaln
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Any and all

Post by michaln »

VirtualBox 4.3 is no longer supported as of January 1st, 2016. Customers need not decide anything, the schedule was known to them well in advance. In other words, the EOL date was December 31, 2015.

There have been occasional 4.3 updates but those do not change the status. Much like the occasional malware removal update for Windows XP does not change its EOL status.
quiettime

Post by quiettime »

Ok, so it has passed EOL. Does anyone know when will the security updates stop being provided?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Virtualbox doesn't provide "security updates" for older versions, they just put out new versions. They have back-ported new features and bug-fixes to earlier versions, but these back-ports are labeled as new versions, not "security updates" for existing versions. If EOL means to the developers that they will not make a new 4.3 version, then I would not expect anything more than what there is now.