5.0.20 Windows 10 guest crashing on Linux host

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
PN Stevenson

5.0.20 Windows 10 guest crashing on Linux host

Post by PN Stevenson »

I've been using VB for years, and this is the first time it's crashed on me. I just upgraded to 5.0.20 on a Linux Mint KDE 17.3 x64 host. My guest is a Windows 10 x64 system. In the last day it's simply imploded on me twice, meaning the whole guest system instantly disappears. And now it turned entirely black and would not respond to anything but a hard shutdown.

Attached are the logs.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Attachments
Windows 10-2016-06-09-02-11-01.log.zip
(115.01 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
PN Stevenson

Re: 5.0.20 Windows 10 guest crashing on Linux host

Post by PN Stevenson »

Christ. The same thing just happened on my work computer, which has different hardware, but the same guest and host OSes. There's something very wrong with this release, guys -- you'd do well to recall it.
michaln
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Any and all

Post by michaln »

If a release was recalled every time a single user has trouble, nothing beyond a hello world program would ever be available for more than five minutes. It's a matter of statistics.

Anyway... there's nothing particularly revealing in the logs, but two of the four are not terminated normally so may indicate a crash. If the VM processes did crash, you must have some diagnostic information from your host OS. Core dump, kernel log messages, etc. What/where is it? Without that information, no progress can be made towards solving the problem.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

I couldn't even open the zip.. until I twigged that it isn't a zip at all, it's a .tar.gz.
PN Stevenson

Post by PN Stevenson »

michaln wrote:If a release was recalled every time a single user has trouble, nothing beyond a hello world program would ever be available for more than five minutes. It's a matter of statistics.
You're acting as if this is affecting a single system, when you know from me alone it's affecting at least two. And then there's this other report from another user: 5.20 destroyed all our Windows guests. Plus whatever reports you get through other channels.

As I said originally, I've been using VB for years, on all kinds of systems, without anything like this ever happening. Something bad is happening now, and I'm just trying to give you a friendly heads up that something is seriously wrong with 5.0.20 so that you can do something to prevent other users from suffering the same fate (I'm assuming you care about your users in spite of the fact they don't pay. I may be wrong).

The guy from the thread above's company decided to switch to VMWare because of this problem. That means they're unlikely to do business with Oracle in the future in any product space, but frankly, I don't really care about that. Judging by your next comment...
...you must have some diagnostic information from your host OS. Core dump, kernel log messages, etc. What/where is it?
...it's clear you're just sending me down the rabbit hole. After telling me to provide info (VB logs), which I did, you then told me that's not actually sufficient information for your purposes. But you don't tell me what you do need to see. I get the message.

I'll be off to VMWare, too.

It's been a nice free ride. But It's time to get serious.