Mac host to Linux Host

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
KIMW
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows 7

Mac host to Linux Host

Post by KIMW »

Hi Everyone!
Is it possible to transfer a copy of a virtualbox image (Windows XP) from Mac host to another machine which is Linux Host?
I tried to find anwsers but couldn't get any.
Thanks in adavnace for help.
Kim
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Mac host to Linux Host

Post by socratis »

From the FAQ: Moving a VM.
Mind you that if you use features like shared folders, you might get a warning message and will have to adjust the path of said folders.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
KIMW

Post by KIMW »

Hi Socratis,
Thanks for the quick reply.
Reading
socratis wrote:From the FAQ: Moving a VM.
I am wondering if a copy is appropriate for what I want. Perhaps you can tell me. I am using a programme which has a unique licence number related to the virtual machine where it's running and if I create a new virtual environment I'll loose my licence so I want to recreate exactly the same virtual machine to be able to run that programme. Is it a copy of the virtualbox machine I should do or a clone?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Doing a clone is guaranteed NOT to result in the same virtual machine. Cloning a VM changes some of the UUIDs of the VM, including the machine UUID and the hard drive(s) UUID.

Copying the VM on the other hand, keeps the same UUIDs. The only thing that changes during the transition is the CPU. The CPU information is taken directly from the host, so if your program looks at that, it may complain/not work.

What's preventing you from trying it? Copy the VM (instead of moving it), take the new host off the network, launch the VM and see if it works. If it doesn't, simply delete it and stick with what you've got, until a more thorough solution comes around.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
KIMW

Post by KIMW »

I am gonna try that. Thanks for your help.
Sorry for the late answer "Notify me upon replies by default" was actually not activated.