Sharing folders between guest and host

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
BillH
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows XP SP3

Sharing folders between guest and host

Post by BillH »

A youtube video was very helpful giving me the direction to find out how to install the Guest Additions. Unfortunately mine did not go as well.
I tried exactly as the video did but mine did not install. I found somewhere adding a suffix to running the file - G:\VBoxWindowsAdditions-amd64.exe /extract /D=C:\Drivers
It extracted the drivers successfully but did not install them. I am pasting my install_drivers.log Perhaps you may see something that I can do to make this installation work.
(1) 0 - ENTER: DriverPackageInstallW
(1) 0 - Installing INF file 'C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox Guest Additions\VBoxGuest.inf' (Plug and Play).
(1) 0 - Looking for Model Section [VBoxGuest.NTamd64]...
(1) 0 - No matching devices found in INF "C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\vboxguest.inf_amd64_b43444618ac49da5\VBoxGuest.inf" on the Machine.
(1) 0 - No drivers installed. No devices found that match driver(s) contained in 'C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\vboxguest.inf_amd64_b43444618ac49da5\VBoxGuest.inf'.
(1) 0 - RETURN: DriverPackageInstallW (0xE000020B)
(1) 0 - Installing INF file 'C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox Guest Additions\VBoxGuest.inf' (Plug and Play).
(1) 0 - No matching devices found in INF "C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\vboxguest.inf_amd64_b43444618ac49da5\vboxguest.inf" on the Machine.
(1) 0 - No drivers installed. No devices found that match driver(s) contained in 'C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\vboxguest.inf_amd64_b43444618ac49da5\vboxguest.inf'.
(1) 0 - No matching devices found in INF "C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\vboxguest.inf_amd64_0fa22d6e7a1999ea\VBoxGuest.inf" on the Machine.
(1) 0 - No drivers installed. No devices found that match driver(s) contained in 'C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\vboxguest.inf_amd64_0fa22d6e7a1999ea\VBoxGuest.inf'.
(1) 0 - No matching devices found in INF "C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\vboxguest.inf_amd64_0fa22d6e7a1999ea\vboxguest.inf" on the Machine.
(1) 0 - No drivers installed. No devices found that match driver(s) contained in 'C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\vboxguest.inf_amd64_0fa22d6e7a1999ea\vboxguest.inf'.
(1) 0 - No matching devices found in INF "C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\vboxguest.inf_amd64_0fa22d6e7a1999ea\vboxguest.inf" on the Machine.
(1) 0 - No drivers installed. No devices found that match driver(s) contained in 'C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\vboxguest.inf_amd64_0fa22d6e7a1999ea\vboxguest.inf'.

Thanks,
Bill
mpack
Site Moderator
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Sharing folders between guest and host

Post by mpack »

Why are your GAs on drive G? They come bundled with VirtualBox, all you have to do is select Devices|Inserts Guest Additions CD... in the VM menu, and let VirtualBox worry about the path.

And, installing the guest additions on the host is not really a great idea. The guest additions go inside the guest - hence the name. The extension pack is for the host.
BillH

Post by BillH »

Hi MPack,
Thanks for responding back to me. I don't see any way to do the Guest Additions in the guest. Would it be possible to tell me how to do this? I have installed the extension pack which was supposed to be for the USB support as I understand it. I didn't see anything that I could run for Guest Additions.

The only posts that I could make any sense of was outlined from Christian with a video that he made. I can't repost his link so I will reference his post. "Sharing folders between guest and host" by Vision6D » 6. May 2016, 01:30 I'm not saying its right, just data.

My G drive was created by the VM control when setting the check box for the Inserts Guest Additions. From that point,Christians video indicated that one needs to run the appropriate file. In my case G:\VBoxWindowsAdditions-amd64.exe for Windows 10 64 bit. His installation went smoothly but mine did not.

Now I looked in the 64Bit directory of the G drive that the VM control created and the drivers were not there but a readme.txt file was there and talked about extracting the drivers and using G:\VBoxWindowsAdditions-amd64.exe /extract /D=C:\Drivers. That worked fine and I can see the files in C:\drivers so tried to run the original G:\VBoxWindowsAdditions-amd64.exe again assuming it would find the drivers. It did not. I thought of copying them to the G drive, but there is no room for anything but files that the VM control created.
It is clear that the G:\VBoxWindowsAdditions-amd64.exe is not finding what it needs for a successful install.

I would be grateful for any help that you may be able to lend with this.
Thanks,
Bill
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

In the VM menu (the menu at the top of the VM window), choose Devices|Install Guest additions... This mounts the GAs CD in the drive. You DO NOT need to find the ISO, VirtualBox already knows where it is, and what version to use.

What happens next depends on how the guest OS is configured. As far as the guest OS is concerned, a CD was just inserted. So if it's configured to automatically play CDs that are inserted then the GAs installer will start by itself.

Obviously, that autoplay behaviour is deprecated these days, so in the likely event that nothing at all happens, you need to browse to the CD drive inside the guest and manually launch whatever installer is appropriate for the guest. E.g. for a Windows guest you run "VBoxGuestAdditions.exe". If you have your Windows host configured to lie to you about filenames ("hide extensions for known file types"), then just look for the same thing without the extension.

p.s. I have not watched Christian's video. The user manual is your definitive reference on how to do things in VirtualBox.
BillH

Post by BillH »

Hi MPack,
Thanks again for responding. The user manual is certainly the definitive reference.
I re-read the manual in this area and saw what you told me. I saw it before too but never saw the CD loaded from the VM control so went looking for other posts to help. i.e Christian.

The guest doesn't have the extra CD drive and the normal one says to insert a disk. I tried to send a screenshot but the forum will not insert screenshot or attach a .doc or .pdf
The insert guest additions CD image is checked in the VM Control (user Interface/devices)
I ejected the VM created disk on the host hoping it would show up on the guest, but it did not. I also tried changing the check box in insert guest additions CD image with the guest open and not open. Also tried closing the VM control between the check changes hoping it would do something. The drive that it created is not re-appearing in either.
What do you think I could try?
Thanks,
Bill
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

You can attach a screenshot, but you attach it directly (see "Upload attachment" tab when composing message). You are not allowed to post URLs. There is a size limit too, so crop the screenshot before posting it, or use the snipping tool to capture just the bit you need.
BillH

Post by BillH »

Hi MPack,
I tried to use snipping tool and paste it in directly, added to Word document but said will not accept .doc, the made a PDF file and got that it will not accept .pdf. Anyway I was hoping to share what I am seeing. If there is a preferred type, it would be good to know.

I think I am understanding better where my problem exists. I went back to Christian's video and it looks like he is in the guest and has a menu bar to select the mounting the CD. I have no such menu bar.
I saw some other posts referencing that seamless mode doesn't work properly so unchecked it. No menu.
I tried other ones as well. No menu. The menu is checked. Perhaps if I can get it to show, I will be able to do the Guest Additions.
In case there are other coupled symptoms, I could not get the clip board to work either. That I was thinking was related to Guest Additions.
Thanks for bearing with me,
Bill
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

BillH wrote:If there is a preferred type, it would be good to know.
That would be the simplest type, i.e. save the image directly as JPEG or PNG (preferred) and then attach that. There is no need for PDFs or DOCs.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
BillH

Post by BillH »

Hi MPack,
A little progress. Attached a keyboard shortcut to installing the Guest Attachment CD which worked and installed the Guest Attachment. However, the normal CDROM is no longer there. Since the Guest Attachment was completed, I tried to eject the virtual drive. Then a CDROM comes up but is empty and doesnt attach anywhere. I can get back to the place before the Guest Insertion with a snapshot and the CDROM is back.
I didnt see any way to control the Guest Attachment to not step on the CDROM.
Is there any way to get it working>\?
Thanks,
Bill

The Menu - tries show menu shortcut - no avail

You guys have a very tough job!!

Thanks,
Bill
BillH

Post by BillH »

Hi MPack,
I got the CDROM back with the Guest Additions as well. There may be a simpler way but at least a way.
I had a snapshot prior to the Guest Additions. The CDROM is working at this point.
Started the virtual machine and changed the drive letter to Z (just to get it out of the way)
Powered down
Added another optical drive which was IDE primary slave which was empty
Started the virtual machine and it found a new drive and the real one was now at Z
Now I started the Guest Additions using a shortcut as the menu was not working
It asked for a reboot and did that
repowered and saw an empty D drive and the real drive at Z
Changed drive letters on both - starting with D to M and then Z to D
Looked ok in the explorer
powered down and then removed the empty drive
powered back up and have the CDROM
Its a bit convoluted, but at least it has the drive.

It would be good to have the menu - not sure why it is not showing up. Also not sure of its value - I'm new to this thing. I'm sure there is a lot to learn - very complex machine.
Hope my input helps somebody else.
Thanks,
Bill