Discuss the 5.0.20 release

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
johnlee

Re: Discuss the 5.0.20 release

Post by johnlee »

Latest 5.0.22 test build fixes a win smp performance regression - which is changeset for the fix please. j
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Test builds have odd build numbers - releases have even numbers - so I assume you mean the latest 5.0.21 test build.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

querfurz wrote:I cannot install the new version on windows-7 professional, because it takes the ".msi"-File into the tmp-directory and then it calls, this is not the correct install-package!?!
Please report error messages precisely. Grab a screenshot if the error message is complex.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

jingking wrote:USB device list is empty after upgrading to 5.0.20-106931.
The host is windows server 2012 R2.

Command "VBoxManage list usbhost"
returns "None"

After roll back to 5.0.16, everything is back to normal.
I think we'd need to see a VM log for that one - any VM would do. Currently, the most likely explanation that springs to mind is that you failed to update the extension pack.
johnlee

Post by johnlee »

mpack wrote:Test builds have odd build numbers - releases have even numbers - so I assume you mean the latest 5.0.21 test build.
Yes - tho' confusingly the 'help/contents when build installed shows it as being 5.0.22! Not sure why you bother to send this email - be better to actually answer the q!

j
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

? I "bothered" because the purpose of these forums and this topic in particular is to provide accurate information, and an implied release that doesn't exist certainly can't pass without comment.

Btw, I posted a message on a forum. I sent no email.
kebabbert
Volunteer
Primary OS: OpenSolaris 11
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: WinXP, RedHat, Ubuntu

Post by kebabbert »

kebabbert wrote:
johnlee wrote:'
This is apparently a regression. Maybe the same problem exists under Windows7? Do anyone have a Windows7 PC and the latest VB and can try to install Ubuntu?
'
Fine here with win 7, vb 5.0.20 from test builds. Ubuntu 16.04 j
Very strange. It doesnt work under Windows10 pro. Can someone else confirm it is not possible to install Ubuntu 16.04 using Win10 as a host?
Is this regression considered as serious? It is not possible to install Ubuntu using Win10 as a host? Should I file a bug?
SteveLF

Post by SteveLF »

This is regards to RHEL 6.8 and 5.0.20. After upgrading to RHEL 6.8, I could no longer compile vboxdrv. I had a error very similar to someone that was running RHEL 7.2 : ‘vlan_tx_tag_present’ and ‘vlan_tx_tag_get’ - see ticket #14866 and viewtopic.php?f=7&t=75179. There was a fix documented in Changeset 58845. I figured Red Hat had back ported some feature or change into 6.8. I will tell you what I did and then you guys can figure out how best to accommodate RHEL 6.8.

The code I'm looking at is in VBoxNetFlt-linux.c. I changed the KERNEL_VERSION to (2, 6, 32) which matches the current RHEL 6.8 kernel version and the RHEL_RELEASE_VERSION to (6, 8). Then ran "/sbin/rcvboxdrv setup" and everything completed successfully. A virtual image runs successfully also. It solved my problem but wanted to document what I did for anyone's benefit and future releases.

#if LINUX_VERSION_CODE >= KERNEL_VERSION(3, 20, 0)
# define VBOX_HAVE_SKB_VLAN
#else
# ifdef RHEL_RELEASE_CODE
# if RHEL_RELEASE_CODE >= RHEL_RELEASE_VERSION(7, 2)
# define VBOX_HAVE_SKB_VLAN
# endif
# endif
#endif
#ifdef VBOX_HAVE_SKB_VLAN
# define vlan_tx_tag_get(skb) skb_vlan_tag_get(skb)
# define vlan_tx_tag_present(skb) skb_vlan_tag_present(skb)
#endif
frank
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: Debian Sid
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows

Post by frank »

Thanks, already fixed in the repository. See also ticket 15411.
SteveLF

Post by SteveLF »

frank wrote:Thanks, already fixed in the repository. See also ticket 15411.
Fantastic!
querfurz
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Windows 10

Post by querfurz »

mpack wrote:
querfurz wrote:I cannot install the new version on windows-7 professional, because it takes the ".msi"-File into the tmp-directory and then it calls, this is not the correct install-package!?!
Please report error messages precisely. Grab a screenshot if the error message is complex.
That was the Error-Message ("this is not the correct install-package"), it comes from Windows-Installer
Attachments
Zwischenablage03.jpg
Zwischenablage03.jpg (12.9 KiB) Viewed 5048 times
Zwischenablage02.jpg
Zwischenablage02.jpg (19.06 KiB) Viewed 5048 times
Zwischenablage01.jpg
Zwischenablage01.jpg (21.32 KiB) Viewed 5048 times
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

That looks like a bad download. Check the md5 sum.
querfurz
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Windows 10

Post by querfurz »

mpack wrote:That looks like a bad download. Check the md5 sum.
No. see the version-numbers. It will take a version "VirtualBox 5.0.16-msi", and i have only the new version 5.0.20 in the tmp-folder.
It is following when the setup-routine will remove my older version.
So the setup starts correctly, it tells me it must remove the older version, and goes up to 70%.
Then the message from the picture "Zwischenablage01.jpg" pops up. I locate the new version of msi manually and the the message "Zwischenablage02.jpg" pops up.
Then I can only cancel the installaition, and the picture "Zwischenablage03.jpg" pops up.
But the message for removing the older version is not correct, i can start the old version correctly after I cancel the update.

But now, i found a way. :idea:
I had found the old installation-exe (5.0.16) in the download-.folder. I start it and go to "remove" then the old installation removed. Now i start the new version-exe (5.0.20) and it will install correctly. :oops:

Thank You for the help, i had found the problem with the version-numbers just now.
jingking

Post by jingking »

mpack wrote:
jingking wrote:USB device list is empty after upgrading to 5.0.20-106931.
The host is windows server 2012 R2.

Command "VBoxManage list usbhost"
returns "None"

After roll back to 5.0.16, everything is back to normal.
I think we'd need to see a VM log for that one - any VM would do. Currently, the most likely explanation that springs to mind is that you failed to update the extension pack.
Sorry, I didn't save the log file at that time. Here is a similar report,
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=77910

Thanks,
PN Stevenson

Post by PN Stevenson »

I run VB on a Linux Mint 17.3 x64 KDE host. My Windows 10 guest has been spontaneously crashing (aborting into nothingness, instantly and without warning) since I installed the 5.0.20 release. I've been using VB for years and have never had this happen.

I've updated the extension pack and the guest additions, so that's not the problem.

The log seems to contain nothing relevant.

Thoughts?