Discuss the 5.0.18 release

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
Sporge

Re: Discuss the 5.0.18 release

Post by Sporge »

mpack wrote:That isn't an error, it's a warning, and lots of people get it. It is also no different in 5.0.16.

Your actual error is VERR_MORE_DATA, which has already been discussed in this topic.
My apologies for the spurious post. I could have sworn that I searched for VERR_MORE_DATA in my log but didn't find it!!!!
WPWong

Post by WPWong »

Hi Dear,

I got the same problem in the installation of extension pack 5.0.18 for Windows 10 Pro which was unresolved in 5.0.16. Please the description of the problem again :

"I am using iMac host and Windows 10 Guest on the VBox. So far it was working fine until the time when upgraded to 5.0.14. on the installation of Windows Guest Additions. The problem was also discussed at the other thread in this forum - "No device Ids found in INF 'C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\vboxvideow8.inf_amd64_dfae391ff47ca246\vboxvideow8.inf' for current platform". It was resolved by unistalling the Windows Guest Additions, then delete the folder, reboot and install it again.

Now when I upgraded to 5.0.16, VM was aborted and quit in the middle of installing the Windows Guest Additions. Have tried to install it again, same problem as described above happened. I tried the same method to uninstall, delete folder, reboot and install again, it went to abort and quit. After serveral unsuccessful trials, I tried to reinstall VBox 5.0.14 and its Windows Guest Additions, no luck, same problem and I could not resolve it. Then I have to restore the whole Mac OS using Time Machine in order to run the old verison of VBox.

Any advice will be helpful or shall I ignore all the future upgrades. Thank you for your kind assistance in advance."
frank
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: Debian Sid
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows

Post by frank »

The most recent 5.0 Windows test build conains a fix for the most recent Windows 10 insider builds and hopefully this fix is more generic to consider future changes in that area. Please confirm that this build works on recent Windows 10.
Capum130
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: LXLE, Ubuntu, TinyCore, Slitaz

Post by Capum130 »

My host network adapter tray icon status became erroneus when updated from 5.0.0 to both 5.0.16 and 5.0.18. It states shows with red 'x' as cable disconnected, yet external access is working.
I found luck to uninstall VBOX and tray icon status correctly respond again.
Does VBOX install should create a incoming connection in ncpa.cpl? (HDAUDIO Soft Data Fax Modem with SmartCP device)
Enabling/Disabling Adapater is less responsive.
I've changed some settings to:
-Adsl Router with IPv4 only, IPv6 disabled!
-Network Adapter Properties utilized itens: unchecked for Protocol IPv6
-ncpa.cpl menu> advanced config> each adapter unchecked for Protocol IPv6
-tried workaround from network tray icon shows 'x' (didn't resolve)

My Windows 7 user is standard but have administrator privileges when need.
Papolytic

Post by Papolytic »

frank wrote:The most recent 5.0 Windows test build conains a fix for the most recent Windows 10 insider builds and hopefully this fix is more generic to consider future changes in that area. Please confirm that this build works on recent Windows 10.
If it's build 14328 or 14332, I've tried them both and .19 guest tools work fine as well.

On either 12.04 or 16.04 (64 bit Ubuntu), .19 guest tools don't work with X11 correctly (16.04 doesn't boot and doesn't show any installing of X guest drivers, and 12.04 just doesn't work with 'effects'). Anyway: I'm using the latest builds & additions, but .16 tools on the Ubuntu builds and they're working fine that way for now.

Thanks.

Oh yes: Host : Win 7 Sp1 64 Pro.
Net-Smart

Post by Net-Smart »

How do i install the Open Gl 2.1 drivers for windows 8 and 10 guests, i rather have Open Gl 2.1 over Aero support.
The old WDDM driver's INF file for Vista and W7 (VBoxVideoWddm) contained in the registry keys for OpenGL ICD, but in the new INF file that are missing.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=77419

https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/12048
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

You don't. You install the GAs with 3D acceleration, and they give the guest whatever API version of OpenGL is currently supported by VirtualBox.

Just because you enable 3D acceleration in the guest settings doesn't mean that the guest has to use it only for 3D. That is just what the feature is called.
WorLord

Post by WorLord »

meiser79 wrote:With the 5.0.18 release, there's no 3D acceleration in all my Ubuntu guests (14.04 and 16.04) on a OSX 10.10 host. Is that known to you?
Same here. This seems to break every release. It has to do with the guest software you install in the VM -- upgrading to that sucks.
WPWong

Post by WPWong »

WPWong wrote:Hi Dear,

I got the same problem in the installation of extension pack 5.0.18 for Windows 10 Pro which was unresolved in 5.0.16. Please the description of the problem again :

"I am using iMac host and Windows 10 Guest on the VBox. So far it was working fine until the time when upgraded to 5.0.14. on the installation of Windows Guest Additions. The problem was also discussed at the other thread in this forum - "No device Ids found in INF 'C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\vboxvideow8.inf_amd64_dfae391ff47ca246\vboxvideow8.inf' for current platform". It was resolved by unistalling the Windows Guest Additions, then delete the folder, reboot and install it again.

Now when I upgraded to 5.0.16, VM was aborted and quit in the middle of installing the Windows Guest Additions. Have tried to install it again, same problem as described above happened. I tried the same method to uninstall, delete folder, reboot and install again, it went to abort and quit. After serveral unsuccessful trials, I tried to reinstall VBox 5.0.14 and its Windows Guest Additions, no luck, same problem and I could not resolve it. Then I have to restore the whole Mac OS using Time Machine in order to run the old verison of VBox.

Any advice will be helpful or shall I ignore all the future upgrades. Thank you for your kind assistance in advance."
I have resolved by problem. I reviewed the installation procedure and discovered that I forgot to click "Device" at the VM and select "Insert Guest Additions CD Image...." before I click the CD drive to run the Guest Additions program. It worked fine when I re-installed the new version of Virtualbox and Extension Pack. Interesting enough, in my previous failures on 5.0.16 and 5.0.18, when I forgot click the "Insert Guest Additions CD Image...." before running the Guest Additions program from the CD drive, it seemed to be worked out perfectly by showing the new version of Guest Additions but just halt in the middle during installation. Therefore I could not realise that I was missing that important step to click "Device" and then "Insert Guest Additions CD Image....".

Hope this will help to others who have encountered the same problem. I think it makes sense to simply this installation step to avoid such unnecessary failure.