Finally how to REAALLY disable logging

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
phirestalker

Finally how to REAALLY disable logging

Post by phirestalker »

I have seen some instructions on supposedly disabling logging in virtualbox, however they either apply to when you are compiling it or they just don't work.

I just downloaded virtualbox and installed it. I have no desire to compile it. I am on OSX

Now....

How do I disable ALL logging?? I would prefer to do this on a VM by VM basis, if that is not possible then I will disable it globally.

what I have seen that has not worked for others, not worth trying

setting environment variables setting the location of logfiles to nofile

Thanks
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Finally how to REAALLY disable logging

Post by mpack »

I'm not aware of any such function, but then again I've never looked. I can tell you that if you succeed in disabling logging you will get no support here, as the log is the first thing we always ask for.

And what's the big deal anyway? The logs don't grow indefinitely. Most logs are singular - they get overwritten each session. Even the VM log function only keeps the last four logs, the fifth being deleted at the start of the session. VM's require a humungous amount of disk space - if you are so worried about disk space that you can't afford the logs (which are at most a few meg) then you can probably forget about running a VM, most of which require several gigs of disk space.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

You may be able to set this globally but not sure about a one off solution.

Code: Select all

VBoxManage setproperty loghistorycount <value>
Set the value to 0 and see what happens. That said you will need to provide a log file when you have issues so I would set it to one if all you are wanting to do is conserve storage.
phirestalker

Post by phirestalker »

this is a security issue. If I run a VM from an encrypted drive I don't need the VM leaking information into the logs. I noticed the logs directory is right in the VM folder however (which is on the encrypted drive). So are there any other logs that get stored elsewhere?
SkyNett100

Post by SkyNett100 »

Perryg wrote:You may be able to set this globally but not sure about a one off solution.

VBoxManage setproperty loghistorycount <value>
Set the value to 0 and see what happens. That said you will need to provide a log file when you have issues so I would set it to one if all you are wanting to do is conserve storage.
Hi any update on this?
I ran,

VBoxManage setproperty loghistorycount 0
EDIT: since running the above command i do see new logs are created in "C:\Users\(username)\.VirtualBox" (selectorwindow.log & VBoxSVC.log)
HOW DO I STOP THESE?
Are their OTHER log locations?

Also i have the "extension pack" pack installed, does that create any extra logs?

I did read this page https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/VBoxLogging
But it is not written in a new user friendly way.
I couldnt work out what commands to run to disable logs..?
Why disable?
Same concern as OP, leaks from running machines saved on encrypted drive.

Thanks.
Windows 7
Virtualbox Version 6.0.4 r128413 (Qt5.6.2)
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

SkyNett100 wrote:HOW DO I STOP THESE? Are their OTHER log locations?
You don't stop these AFAIK. There are the VM logs and the global logs, those are the only two locations. See ch. 10.1. Where VirtualBox stores its files of the User Manual.
SkyNett100 wrote:Same concern as OP, leaks from running machines saved on encrypted drive.
I honestly have a problem with that statement. If your VM is on an encrypted drive, your logs are going to be in that encrypted drive as well, so where exactly is the problem?

And second (and most importantly) what exact "leaks" are you referring go? And not just academically, real "leaks". Name them please...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

The situation is unchanged from the above discussion: there is no way I know of to disable the logs except create your own build, and you'll have no support here.

And like Socratis, I'd be interested in knowing what leaks you are referring to.
SkyNett100

Post by SkyNett100 »

socratis wrote:You don't stop these AFAIK. There are the VM logs and the global logs, those are the only two locations. See ch. 10.1. Where VirtualBox stores its files of the User Manual.
If your VM is on an encrypted drive, your logs are going to be in that encrypted drive as well, so where exactly is the problem?
And second (and most importantly) what exact "leaks" are you referring go? And not just academically, real "leaks". Name them please...
The goal is plausible deniability.
Example:
Journalist is forced to decrypt devices at border security
Due to Win 10 using EFI GPT partition, veracrypt hidden OS is not possible.
So instead a VM is being used for sensitive journalism,
that VM is duplicated on a decoy & hidden encrypted volume.
The VM in decoy encrypted volume has nothing of value
Th VM on hidden encrypted has VPN, Communications with sources/office, unpublished articles etc
If the virtualbox system logs can contradict times in VM on decoy system
plausible deniability is destroyed
could be detained until submit to decrypting hidden volume

Thus the goal to eliminate all Virtualbox logs
(yes im aware some windows logs also need to be wiped)

I hope now the motivations & goals are clearer?
mpack wrote:there is no way I know of to disable the logs except create your own build, and you'll have no support here.
that is a shame..