What is command?

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
menrwin

What is command?

Post by menrwin »

What is Configuring the CPU, memory and graphics card vendor product data of command?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: What is command?

Post by mpack »

I'm afraid that is hard to understand. Try posing the question more completely in your own language, and we'll use Google Translate to capture the meaning.
menrwin

Post by menrwin »

请问,修改CPU,内存,显卡的制造商,型号和序列号的命令是什么?
DeepL wrote: What is the command to change the manufacturer, model and serial number of the CPU, memory and video card?
Last edited by mpack on 18. Aug 2020, 15:59, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Add DeepL translation.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Looks like the first post was already Google-translated:
Google Translate wrote:Will modify the CPU, memory, manufacturer, model and serial number of the command card is what
Might be wrong, but my guess is that menrwin wants to change the names reported by the virtual hardware in the guest. "Virtualbox Graphics Adapter", CPU name, stuff like that.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Hmm. I'm not confident that holding a technical discussion via Google Translate will work very well.

VMs run on the native CPU, so there's a limit to how much it can be changed - and it could have unfortunate side effects such a CPU features being wrongly used or not used. That all said, there is a command called "VBoxManage modifyvm --cpuidset" which is barely documented in the manual. You now know as much about it as I do.

You can change the RAM in the VM settings.

You cannot change the manufacturer or serial number of VirtualBox devices unless you modify the source code. If you do so then none of the device drivers will work on them (they won't find the correct device).

You can change some ID strings by configuring DMI data. This is described in the user manual.

To address the underlying question. If software wants to detect that it is running in a VM the none of the above will help you. A simple timing test can distinguish virtual hardware, and if I was the programmer I would simply disallow obsolete hardware: VMs prefer to simulate old hardware because it tends to be simpler, better understood, and modern OSs will have native drivers for it. But people with real hardware that old probably aren't the ones buying my high end software. More likely they want to steal it.
menrwin

Post by menrwin »

Thank you ! I know,but,I inquire the VirtualBox UserManual,operation The "VBoxManage modifyvm --cpuidset" command,a later,operation the "wmic cpu get processorid" of cmd command in the virtualbox guest, Results show is none.
change the manufacturer or serial number of CPU command:
VBoxManage setextradata "VM name" "VBoxInternal/Devices/pcbios/0/Config/DmiProcManufacturer" "GenuineIntel" and
VBoxManage setextradata "VM name" "VBoxInternal/Devices/pcbios/0/Config/DmiProcVersion" "Pentium(R) III" , virtualbox guest is not changed, but some people can change it ,but I don't know.
"Virtualbox Graphics Adapter" the name ,I want to change it,but I don't know the command,which is not documented in the manual.
manufacturer or serial number is none of RAM in the guest,I want to Fill in the strings,but I don't know command.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

menrwin wrote:Thank you ! I know,but,I inquire the VirtualBox UserManual,operation The "VBoxManage modifyvm --cpuidset" command,a later,operation the "wmic cpu get processorid" of cmd command in the virtualbox guest, Results show is none.
change the manufacturer or serial number of CPU command:
VBoxManage setextradata "VM name" "VBoxInternal/Devices/pcbios/0/Config/DmiProcManufacturer" "GenuineIntel" and
VBoxManage setextradata "VM name" "VBoxInternal/Devices/pcbios/0/Config/DmiProcVersion" "Pentium(R) III" , virtualbox guest is not changed, but some people can change it ,but I don't know.
I'm afraid I do not know either. These are user forums, and I have never used that feature. All I have to go on is the user manual, which says very little on this subject. Examining the source code is another possibility.

menrwin wrote:"Virtualbox Graphics Adapter" the name ,I want to change it,but I don't know the command,which is not documented in the manual.
manufacturer or serial number is none of RAM in the guest,I want to Fill in the strings,but I don't know command.
As I already said: You cannot change the manufacturer or serial number of VirtualBox devices unless you modify the source code. If you do so then none of the device drivers will work on them (they won't find the correct device). and You can change some ID strings by configuring DMI data. This is described in the user manual.
menrwin

Post by menrwin »

Thank you!again,mpack.How to liaison the developers?
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

menrwin wrote:Thank you!again,mpack.How to liaison the developers?
These are user forums. To talk to developers you could try the developers mailing list. I should warn you however that unless many support contract sales are involved then I'm not convinced that this request will be met with favor.
AivarasL

Post by AivarasL »

How change ProcessorID, BIOS ID, BaseBoardID and other HardwareID www(.)virtualbox(.) org / ticket / 17696.
Last edited by mpack on 18. Aug 2020, 11:47, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Add link to ticket.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

@AivarasL: cross posting is against the forum rules, hence I have deleted your two other copies of this identical post.
HasanOsman

Post by HasanOsman »

I need to change Virtualbox Processor ID. wmic cpu get processorid always empty
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

HasanOsman, Your other cross-post on this subject has been deleted.

Those who post on existing topics are expected to try the topic's suggestions first. What did the information above your post say?