Use with real Cisco Equipment

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
Muskrat

Use with real Cisco Equipment

Post by Muskrat »

Hi all,
Thank you to Oracle for setting up a place for professionals and newbies (like myself) to collaborate.

I am currently a student at a local community college working towards my CCNA and several other IT-related certificate as I attempt to join this vastly expanding job market post-military

I currently run Windows 10 on my Alienware15, I am using (2) Vbox Win-7 machines along with (3) cisco switches and (3) cisco routers. To increase my knowledge of how this all works in the physical world, I am attempting to do some of the many cisco labs using actual cisco equipment and my laptop. I currently have wired Ethernet connections to my main Ethernet port as well as a usb-rj45 female adapter to run a second NIC. Looking at youtube, I simply cannot find a way in which to ping test as of now

In the VMs, I have set the network adapters to bridge and each of the PCs use a different Ethernet adapter (killer-Ethernet and Realteak adapter). I can't get the two to talk. Using different computers at school I can simply tear down the firewall, connect to an out-of-the-box switch and as long as the IP addresses and subnets are good within the IPv4 adapter settings, I can at least ping test. Obviously, this ability will set the foundation for future testing as labs have gotten more extensive and time-consuming and the ability to do these labs at home are becoming more and more necessary; there are simply not enough hours in the day.

I was wondering if anyone has done this before or if they could point me in the right direction to how to set this up so I can continue doing more advanced lab with my at-home equipment. Any help is greatly appreciated and I want to thank anyone that even takes the time to look at this forum. Thank you much

Ryan Weisrock
Student
rweisrock At Gmail

Thank you again
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Re: Use with real Cisco Equipment

Post by BillG »

If you are using bridged networking, the vms should look just like physical ones to the networking software. This software is only concerned with IP and MAC addresses, so it really has no way of knowing what the actual device is. I have never seen any vm behave differently from a physical one in that respect using Ethernet NICs. All bets are off if you use wi-fi NICs or routers. They vary in their ability to handle virtual networking.
Bill