Emulating a slower PC (older specs.) using Virtual Box?

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
Smarq

Emulating a slower PC (older specs.) using Virtual Box?

Post by Smarq »

Hello,

I need to test our website and determine reasonable minimum requirements - for Windows only, and for now only IE11. The page is quite Javascript heavy.

I am aware that you can vary the RAM and the CPU in the Settings of any Virtual Machine.

1. How would I more realistically emulate older hardware? For example: I can set the size of RAM used, but how do I set its speed?

2. Is there a way to determine, based on the specs of the computer I am using, more or less exactly which CPU/RAM/graphics adapter etc. my settings are equivalent to?

3. Would adjusting Video memory have an impact on rendering a javascript-heavy website?

I understand there is probably much more to this issue than I realise (don't bash the nub!), so what other questions should I be asking here?

Thanks
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Emulating a slower PC (older specs.) using Virtual Box?

Post by scottgus1 »

CPU type/capabilities and speed of host computer devices shared by the guest aren't controllable by Virtualbox. The guest sees the host's CPU. You can limit the overall bandwidth of the virtual hard drive but probably not the burst data speed.