Advanced virtualization

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
lukasz18dg

Advanced virtualization

Post by lukasz18dg »

Hey.
I do not know if he was such a topic. If it was sorry. Looking for advanced virtualization, why? About this soon.
I noticed that some programs I use only periodically, it means that there is a period where the needs of the program installs, uses and then uninstalls. It may seem silly, but I want these programs to move to virtualization and launch them when I need it. Unfortunately, each system W10 is about 30GB. Two virtualized systems is about 60GB. The previously mentioned programs, mostly modify / add approximately 10GB of data.
Now I'll explain why virtualization advanced.
I would like to create a system of mother who will provide other systems sub-files that have not changed on the slave system. And it works the other way, the slave system does not provide file system of the mother.
For example.
Mother = W10 system updated, 1 X program
The slave 1 = updated (by the System's mother), 1 Y program installed 1 X program (the system of the mother)
The slave 2 = updated (by the System's mother), 1 the program from the installed program X 1 (the system of the mother)
The program Y and Z can not see, but if I do the operation on the sub-program system also these changes do not go up to the system of the mother.
That's what he wants to do, whether it is possible in this program? If not, are there other options?
Regards.

PS. If somewhere it complicated, not clearly written, write'll be up to date explaining the idea.
PS1: I do not want to indefinitely extend the 30 day trial period.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Advanced virtualization

Post by scottgus1 »

As I understand, Lukasz, you want to have a base install of Windows 10 and two guests that run from that base, with different data and programs. This is possible - it's called "linked clones". You make one Windows 10 guest, then make a linked clone of that guest. The first guest's disk becomes the "base" and both the first and cloned guests get differencing disks that store each guest's data.

One thing I'm not clear on, though, is activation of Windows 10. You can avoid "indefinitely extending the 30 day trial period" by activating the first guest. Will the activation change after you make the linked clone? Will the clone be activated too? I don't know. Someone else will have to say what will happen to the activation of the first or cloned guests. You may (probably will) be required to have licenses for both guests.

Adding linked clones also makes backing up harder. This tutorial Moving a VM, reinterpreted as "Backing Up a VM", is a good way to back up guests. Linked clones make the backup and restore more difficult to keep track of.

On the other hand, hard disk space is cheap these days. 30 extra GB laying around for the second guest wouldn't be optimal, but on a half-terabyte drive, it's not all that much of a problem. Just get a bigger hard drive and make two separate guests.
lukasz18dg

Re: Advanced virtualization

Post by lukasz18dg »

Thank you for your answer. I will check the solution in the near future.