vbox-img craetecache

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
sparksis

vbox-img craetecache

Post by sparksis »

Hi All,

I couldn't find anything in the user manuals about the new "vbox-img" command (added as part of release 5.0). While running the command without any arguments does provide sufficient documentation on how to run the command it doesn't provide any background info. I'm curious what the createcache sub command does as I'm hoping it creates a local cachefile which can be used in a shared cluster scenario. Any insite would be greatly appreciated.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: vbox-img craetecache

Post by mpack »

I would have thought that createcache simply allows you to override the default buffer size used when copying. This will be discarded when the tool finishes, so will have zero long term affect on the VDI. On some media the seek latencies while copying with a small buffer might be a significant portion of the total I/O time. OTOH some host maybe cannot afford a very large buffer.

p.s. Google turns up mention of this tool existing since 2012, though I confess I hadn't noticed it before. It apparantly wasn't part of the Windows binary package until v5, perhaps because it is command line only (and VBoxManage already exists with overlapping functionality). It does seem to have recently acquired some additional subcommands, but I'm still not entirely sure why this tool exists, i.e. what it does that VBoxManage doesn't do.