No Internet Access on my Centos 7 Guest

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
oldenuf2nobtr

No Internet Access on my Centos 7 Guest

Post by oldenuf2nobtr »

Environment: Host - Windows 7 Enterprise, Guest - Centos 7

I am used a Bridged Adapter that points to my Wireless connection.

I have attached the IP settings for both my Host and Centos. I am not sure if I need to enable something in VirtualBox.

I can ping between my host and Guest and I can connect to my guest using SSH. My host can access the internet so I am thinking my Guest should be able to as well.

Thank you for the help.
Attachments
network.png
network.png (66.08 KiB) Viewed 6347 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: No Internet Access on my Centos 7 Guest

Post by scottgus1 »

Bridged is known to not work with some wi-fi adapters, due to limitations in the wi-fi adapter drivers. Try to Bridge to the LAN port on the laptop if there is one. If that works then try an updated w-fi adapter driver if there is one. You can also try NAT, which is supposed to work with the wi-fi adapter.
oldenuf2nobtr

Post by oldenuf2nobtr »

scottgus1 wrote:Bridged is known to not work with some wi-fi adapters, due to limitations in the wi-fi adapter drivers. Try to Bridge to the LAN port on the laptop if there is one. If that works then try an updated w-fi adapter driver if there is one. You can also try NAT, which is supposed to work with the wi-fi adapter.
When you say "LAN port" do you mean an Ethernet connection? I am not have a hard wired connection, only a wifi connection. I am still learning network lingo.

I will look for updated wifi drivers for the laptop in the meantime.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Yes, LAN port is Ethernet. If you switch your guest's network from Bridged to NAT, it should access the internet via the wi-fi, but it won't appear on your local network like your host does.
oldenuf2nobtr

Post by oldenuf2nobtr »

scottgus1 wrote:Yes, LAN port is Ethernet. If you switch your guest's network from Bridged to NAT, it should access the internet via the wi-fi, but it won't appear on your local network like your host does.
Thank you scottgus for confirming LAN was for Ethernet.

I did what you initially stated which was to look in to updating my wifi driver. When I went in to Device Drivers and went to the wireless driver and clicked the updated button it said it was up to date but I didn't trust is and went looking and sure enough there was an updated driver released just last month. I installed it and was hoping for the "Viola" effect but no such luck until I rebooted my laptop and then when I started my Centos Guest and opened Firefox I had an internet connection. I did not change to using NAT or anything, I just updated the driver as suggested.

Thank you again.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Glad it worked!
oldenuf2nobtr

Post by oldenuf2nobtr »

scottgus1 wrote:Glad it worked!
Hi scottgus1, I had a followup to this topic. I need to make a correction to my setup as well as state what resolved the issue in the hope you could possibly explain to me on why it worked.

The Internet connection worked when I was not connected through to my offices connection that I have to make through a Citrix Access Gateway (I think this is a VPN connection). Once I made this connection I no longer had Internet access but my VM and Host could still communicate as they were on the same network. I did some more reading on old post for other user who did not have Internet access from their VM's and it was suggested to add a 2nd adapter to the network settings for the VM and set it to NAT. I tried this and it worked. I was able to gain the Internet access on the VM as well as have the Bridged Adapter that allowed my communications between my host and VM.

Now the question as I am still learning about network. Why was I able to gain Internet access by setting up a 2nd adapter to NAT?

Thank you for the lesson in advance.