How do I change last used differencing disk?

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
Industrial

How do I change last used differencing disk?

Post by Industrial »

A bit of a complicated problem. I have 17 snapshots of a DOS volume that I last used in 2012, I tried to start from the latest snapshot just to see if it's still working and it did, so I powered off but then I had to start it up again for some reason and this time it failed, saying it closed before it could open a session or something. Then it appeared it deleted my latest .SAV for some reason. Luckily I have an image backup of my whole SSD with the virtualbox files and everything. So I copied the whole screenshot folder back but now I can't load up my latest snapshot. If I restore snapshot it will create a new 2048KB .VDI instead of using the 8KB one I already have and it fails to load anything up anyway.

In the storage settings I see the VDI that's indirectly attached is expecting that false 2048KB one. How do I change this? If I discard state and attach the proper differencing VDI then I won't be able to restore the saved state, it will just simply boot up without it. So where in virtualbox does it store this information on what the last differencing disk was used?

I am using 4.13.12.
Industrial

Re: How do I change last used differencing disk?

Post by Industrial »

Never mind, I fixed it by removing and re-adding the VM with the backed-up .vbox file.