New to VirtualBox. What does VM Type and Version do?

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
Aqxea

New to VirtualBox. What does VM Type and Version do?

Post by Aqxea »

I looked in the VirtualBox manual but it didn't have any specifics. When building a new VM, it asks you to choose a type and version. Obviously, if I'm building a Windows 2012 R2 x64 VM, I choose that, but what exactly is it doing behind the scenes? Is it emulating different kinds of hardware? In what situation would one choose "other"? If anyone has a link to more info on this, I'd appreciate it.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: New to VirtualBox. What does VM Type and Version do?

Post by Perryg »

The type and version sets up a template that pre-seeds the guest settings with the defaults.
Aqxea

Post by Aqxea »

So, you don't know either eh?
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

Sure I do and I just told you. Look at the settings your self. Set up one for Linux and one for Windows. Choose different versions and you will see for yourself. Nothing more than a template the sets up the default settings. You can change them if you like but then you may have issues.

Really questioning others that answer your query? If you like you can see this in the source code http://www.virtualbox.org/svn/vbox/trunk/ if you doubt me.
Aqxea

Post by Aqxea »

:lol: Sorry Perry, I was just giving you a hard time. I just read through a few other posts on this forum and it looks like you deal with quite a few arrogant newbies every day. I now understand exactly what you mean, and I appreciate the info. Has anyone ever requested as a new feature, the ability to upload their own OS logo for the VB manager? Is it possible to save your own custom templates? Thanks again.

-Mike
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

Yes but you would need to modify and compile yourself. This is going to take some understanding of how to program and code but all of the source contains pointers throughout.