Sharing Bluray Drive back to Host

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
duck-tective

Sharing Bluray Drive back to Host

Post by duck-tective »

I need to decrypt my blurays so I can watch them on my Linux host. So I have passed through my bluray drive to windows 2012 r2 guest that has a piece of software on it to decrypt them, I am wondering if there is anyway to pass a folder of the decrypted files back to my Linux host. I have tried making a shared folder between the guest and host and then symbolically link the files to the folder, but it seems you are stopped from doing this for security reasons and the work around for it doesn't work (encase any one is wondering its this "VBoxManage setextradata BlurayDecrypt VBoxInternal2/SharedFoldersEnableSymlinksCreate/BlurayDrive 1"). Is there any other way to share the drive back to the host? By the way the server I'm running this on is headless so I am using the vboxmanage interface with virtualbox version 5.0.0-1. Any help would be appreciated thanks.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Sharing Bluray Drive back to Host

Post by scottgus1 »

I'm not sure that sharing the bluray drive passed into the guest back to the host is necessary (or possible).
I decrypt my DVDs to my house server with DVDfab, which allows saving the DVD files on a shared Windows folder on another PC. If you can make a real shared folderon the Linux host with full read-write access and point the decrypting program at the real shared folder, not a Guest Additions shared folder, it may work. Otherwise you may need to have enough disk space to decrypt into a folder on the guest drive, then manually transfer the files to the host.
duck-tective

Post by duck-tective »

I want to make it automated so I just put a disk into my computer then select the bluray option in vlc and select the decrypted bluray share path then it will play the movie, i was able to do this before a few years ago but i have totally forgot how to do it. I would prefer not having to rip them in a windows vm then move them over to watch them since i could just use a piece of software like makemkv to rip them on Linux and I like have the ability just the stick a bluray in and watch it instead of waiting an hour for it to rip.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Oh, you want to do decrypt and watch LIVE at the same time? I don't think I was able to deduce that from your first post. That highly important piece of useful information was not stated. Disregard my first post.
it seems you are stopped from doing this for security reasons
Is this "stop" coming from Virtualbox? As in an error message with "Virtualbox" in the title bar and Virtualbox-ish messages in the window?

If the error is in the guest OS or the host OS, I don't think it's a Virtualbox problem. Virtualbox makes a network path for the guest and host to communicate through. You can use the usual shared folders that you'd use if you had two PCs side-by-side with network cables and a router between them. If you can figure out how to decrypt a bluray on a physical Windows 2012 PC, then have the output of the decrypt saved onto the shared folder on a physical Linux PC and have VLC play it, then you can do it in Virtualbox in exactly the same way. Hint, use Bridged network if your network has a router, or host-only if you don't have a router or just want this guest to decrypt blurays and don't want it to get out to the internet or be accessed by other PCs besides the host.
duck-tective

Post by duck-tective »

Sorry of the late reply I don't think there is actually anyway of doing what I want to do it is impossible to make a symbolic link of any sort in windows vm to a vboxsf shared folder. I even tried having a Linux vm inside the windows vm to try to use the linux symbolic link system that should work if you change some setting but alas I found out that it is only possible if the host is linux and the host in this case was the windows vm(confusing am I right). It seems to be impossible to do this its kinda silly that they haven't figured out how to support symbolic links properly but maybe its just I that has a very strange specific use case. Thanks for the help anyway. I will report back if I find a solution. also your suggestion that i save it to the shared folder would be a good one if that wouldn't allow me to do it live but it would basically be the same as ripping it time wise, it needs to be symbolically linked or I might as well use a bluray ripping software on Linux like makemkv.